1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Questions for fuel filter replacement: Hose, clamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 AM
DukeDomB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for fuel filter replacement: Hose, clamps

Hi again folks,

I ordered a Wix fuel filter off of RockAuto for my 92 Dak. I want to change the filter but I noticed that the rubber fuel hoes connecting the filter to the hard lines are looking sort of crazed and old, so I want to replace them too.

1) To remove the existing fuel hose, i will need to unclamp it from the hard lines. I've got the factory crimp clamps still on there. I understand that these need to be destroyed to be removed. How do you guys remove these? Dike em out with a pair of snips?

2) What size rubber hose do I need? The OD of the fuel filter pipe is .320". Should I use a 5/16" ID fuel rated hose? Does it need to be heavy duty stuff for fuel injection pressure?

3) What type of clamps should I use? The kind with a worm gear that you tighten down with a screw driver? or is there something better?

Still haven't decided if I want to depressurize the system by unplugging the pump relay or by pressing on the Schrader valve.

Thanks in advance and best regards from Duke

Last edited by DukeDomB; 01-21-2014 at 02:10 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DukeDomB
Hi again folks,

I ordered a Wix fuel filter off of RockAuto for my 92 Dak. I want to change the filter but I noticed that the rubber fuel hoes connecting the filter to the hard lines are looking sort of crazed and old, so I want to replace them too.

1) To remove the existing fuel hose, i will need to unclamp it from the hard lines. I've got the factory crimp clamps still on there. I understand that these need to be destroyed to be removed. How do you guys remove these? Dike em out with a pair of snips?

2) What size rubber hose do I need? The OD of the fuel filter pipe is .320". Should I use a 5/16" ID fuel rated hose? Does it need to be heavy duty stuff for fuel injection pressure?

3) What type of clamps should I use? The kind with a worm gear that you tighten down with a screw driver? or is there something better?

Still haven't decided if I want to depressurize the system by unplugging the pump relay or by pressing on the Schrader valve.

Thanks in advance and best regards from Duke
Sorry but I have no insight. But this is a very good question. I'd also like to know as I have the same problem and it's the only thing that has been stopping me from changing the fuel filter out. Only thing is I haven't cared enough to actually figure it out lol

Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

1 I cut mine out with a pipe cutter then I flared the ends and used a hose clamp

2 not sure

3 pull the fuel pump relay and crank the motor. It should run for a couple seconds at the most. Other wise you can hit the Schrader valve on the fuel rail but use a rag to catch the fuel that comes spraying out

I use the worm gear type but be careful not to over tighten them

Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 AM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Gents, thanks for the feedback, especially Shadow

I just went out and looked under my truck again. After scouring the interbutts, I'm starting to get the confidence to know how to do this damn job. No help to the folks at my local Autozone, either!

For those who are curious, I have determined that, yes, there is indeed a special type of rubber line for the filter-to-hard-line connection. You need to be using high-pressure fuel injection hose. This seems to be hose that meets the SAE J30R9 specification. The stuff that meets SAE 30R6 and 30R7 and is listed as Fuel Line/PCV/EEC Hose is inappropriate for use in pressure lines on fuel injected engines. But apparently it's okay for return lines.

I'd like to get my hands on some clamps that are made specifically for fuel injection line, but I may have to send away for that depending on how the selection at the local parts store is...

Stay tuned for progress reports!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 AM
DukeDomB
Rookie

I ended up going to O'Reilly's and buying an 18" length of the 5/16" ID Prestone SAE J30R9 Fuel Injection hose and Qty 4 fuel injection hose clamp, sized for 5/16" ID hose.

- Depressurized the fuel system by pulling the pump relay and cranking the engine over
- Undid the clamps at the filter and let all the gas run out into a pan... not too hard to avoid spilling
- Yanked the hoses off the filter
- Chopped the floppy old hoses off just before the crimp clamps to get them out of the way
- Used a pair of dikes to hack away at the crimps... I think think they are made out of tin or something, they are of course rather soft and it only took a few minutes of cussing before I was able to yank em off
- Once the crimps were off, I was able to pull the remaining dead hose bits off.
- Mounted the new fuel filter
- Cut the new hose in half with my hose cutter
- Clamped a half of the hose on the inlet and the outlet of the filter.
- Held each section of hose up to the hard line and eyeballed how much hose I needed
- Cut off the excess
- Clamp it down
- Reinstall fuel pump relay
- Pressurize the system
- Check for leaks
- Light off the Mopar Magnum engine and crack open a cold one after your test drive!

Hope this little walk-through helps someone. After scratching my head for a week or so, I dove right in and it was easy as pie!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct on using fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps !

Using normal old style fuel hose, and worm gear clamps is a recipe for problems.
They aren't designed for fuel injection type pressures.
Use the right clamps and hose and you won't have to do it again. (or have a fire due a fuel leak)

Cheers.

BTW: for those who might be stupid enough to try it... NEVER use normal rubber hose (like vacuum hose) for fuel.. the fuel will eat the interior of the hose.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

I must have been drunk when I wrote that post. I don't know how I missed the what type of fuel hose to use.

Lol

Old 02-01-2014, 10:03 AM
MacDak
Professional

Whew, makes me glad I had shop install the new fuel filter I bought a few months ago! When I had truck in for new we water pump, I had them put filter on for me.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:10 AM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Originally Posted by MacDak
Whew, makes me glad I had shop install the new fuel filter I bought a few months ago! When I had truck in for new we water pump, I had them put filter on for me.
It really wasn't that big of a deal, it was just, for me personally, a "measure seventeen times and cut once" sort of affair. Also, my description of the job itself was rather verbose so as not to exclude any important detail.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:08 PM
indiglofish61
Amateur

Sounds like you know what you're doing!, So where is the fuel filter on a Dodge Dakota 2000 slt 3.9L? Anyone?

Quick Reply: Questions for fuel filter replacement: Hose, clamps