1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Windshield Wiper Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 AM
stymie222
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Not Working

My passenger side wiper stopped working on my 92 dakota, extended cab, 3.9L.
I can see movement in the stem, when I turn the wipers on.

I could use some advise as to what is involved in removing the arm and the most likely parts I will need.

Are these wiper parts available from auto parts stores, or will this be a dealer item ?

Thanks

Old 07-20-2014, 10:39 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If the passenger side stem is moving, but the blade is not, then it's only the wiper arm's teeth have been rubbed out (I went through three sets of the Dorman arms before I gave that up and started picking from the junkyards ...)

The arm itself is easy.

There's a
that shows how to remove it - I can't even begin to describe it that well *grins*

Reassembly hint: While the arm is off, run the wiper blades back down (turn them on and back off, and let the driver's side park down) and put it back on as far down as you can get while not putting it on the cowl itself.

Again, the Dorman replacement arms are cheap aluminum and can strip out the ridges that grab the shaft.

If you pull the arm off and discover the SHAFT is too smooth (it's not the arm, or it's both partially rubbed out), it's a bit more difficult - you'll have to find a good wiper shaft in the boneyard.

Arm is available new at the dealer - here's a parts diagram and a dealer that sells the arm for under $35. The Dorman arm is not that much less at almost $28 at RockAuto.

RwP

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM
kahanabob
Captain

most likely it is the nylon keeper that connects the linkage to the bell crank on the stem. can get at auto parts store. you have to pull the cowl off and drop the stems and pull them out. don't get them mixed up, need to note which end goes where it was and also don't get the linkage in upside down. suggest marking and tape them to identify how they go. replace all the nylon keepers.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:44 PM
RalphP
Champion

That may be, Kahanabob, but if the stem is rotating, the keepers are working ...

(OTOH, if the keepers have fallen out, Dorman DOES make them. I'd replace all of them for JustinCase and his cousin, Aloyisius Murphy *grins* )

RwP

Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 AM
kahanabob
Captain

Originally Posted by RalphP
That may be, Kahanabob, but if the stem is rotating, the keepers are working ...

(OTOH, if the keepers have fallen out, Dorman DOES make them. I'd replace all of them for JustinCase and his cousin, Aloyisius Murphy *grins* )

RwP
think the keeper has broken but the linkage is still in the hole on the end that has broken. if so the stem would move some but not much. he needs to remove the wiper and run them and see if the stem has full motion. seems if the stem is messed up to where the stem would just slip the wiper blade should just fall right off. on my 90 those keepers would fail replaced tham more than once.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:44 PM
RalphP
Champion

Naw, the spring clip will hold it on, but the knurls being smooth keep the power from being transmitted.

MY experience is that when the keeper (or bushing) falls out, there's NO stem movement besides what you do to it. Then again, I had one come unstaked on the back side - the transmission was working great, but the stem spun on the shaft of the drive arm (inside the cowl!)

Again, my experience was with the Dorman arms - cheap pot aluminum, not much drag and the knurls would smooth out.

RwP

Old 07-21-2014, 02:45 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Originally Posted by RalphP
Naw, the spring clip will hold it on, but the knurls being smooth keep the power from being transmitted.

MY experience is that when the keeper (or bushing) falls out, there's NO stem movement besides what you do to it. Then again, I had one come unstaked on the back side - the transmission was working great, but the stem spun on the shaft of the drive arm (inside the cowl!)

Again, my experience was with the Dorman arms - cheap pot aluminum, not much drag and the knurls would smooth out.

RwP
hope he follows up on the issue....now i am curious...

Old 07-24-2014, 03:07 PM
stymie222
Amateur

Well, here's whats wrong- I purchased a new arm and it would not fit tight enough to rotate.
I took the drivers side wiper off and tried the new arm on it. It worked.
The passenger side stem is moving back and forth completely.
So the passenger side stem splines are worn out. Dodge does not have the parts any more so I guess this will be a junk yard safari.
Any directions as to removal of the cowl and stem would be greatly appreciated.
If it were you, would you replace both, while you have it all apart ?
Anyone know of a used parts on line store thats decent ?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM
RalphP
Champion

Car-Parts.COM is the only one I know of, and I'm not sure how you would order that (wiper transmission maybe?)

The cowl can be removed by a) removing the wiper arms, b) removing the under-hood sealing strip (pulls towards the front of the truck), c) removing all the screws, and d) lifting it up (since you have a Gen1 Dakota).

The arm is held in place by two screws. While it's apart, I'd rebush it and lube the bushings with some moly grease - but if not moly, white lithium works also.

Bushings can be had from almost any parts store - the part #s can be looked up at www.dormanproducts.com .

As to replacing both - not if the driver's side has good knurls on it.

RwP

Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM
kahanabob
Captain

think i would try to McGyver it. maybe install a set screw in the base/hub of the arm??

if you take it apart just keep track of the way the linkage arms go, not only can you get them backwards but also upside down. think it would be avail at a junk yard

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Not Working