1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Sheetmetal patches?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Ndr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheetmetal patches?

Does anyone know of a source for patch pieces to patch some holes in the bed of the truck that match up with the corrugation pattern?

Also, What about the inner wheel wells of the bed? (not sure exactly what their called...wheelhouse? )
mine have some pretty big holes through them, and the PO did a half-a patch job on them. If I can't find a proper replacement for them, I might just try to fab up some from some sheet metal. Not 100% concerned with how it looks since I've got a bed liner that will hide it, I just want to get rid of the holes, and (I think) it would be easier to do a full replacement rather then patch whats already there.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Ndr
Amateur

looks like I asked too soon. I think I found the wheelhouses I need.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...driveLine=7381

Part #7...

the question now would be does anyone know of a cheaper source...

Still curious about patch section for the actual bed floor. Any suggestions? I've contemplated getting a flat sheet of steel, or maybe some diamond plate.

Cut out the existing floor and wheelhouses, trim in and weld down the diamond plate, then weld in the new wheelhouses. Hmmm....

Old 10-02-2015, 11:14 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Use 1x4's or 2x4's to build a bed for that thing.

Possibly find a new bed in a southern boneyard?

Down here, a bed is $150 bare (no lights or other accessories) at the local U-Pull-It chain.

RwP

Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Ndr
Amateur

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. Would you cut the lumber out around the wheelhouses, or delete the wheelhouses?

Keeping the bed at teh same level it's at, my first thought would be to cut around the wheelhouse to allow for the wheel/suspension travel.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Check out the link, They have universal corrugated steel.
https://www.shermanparts.com/ecat/base/index.php

Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Ndr
Hmm, that's not a bad idea. Would you cut the lumber out around the wheelhouses, or delete the wheelhouses?

Keeping the bed at teh same level it's at, my first thought would be to cut around the wheelhouse to allow for the wheel/suspension travel.
That would be my thought also.

When I see it done in a TV show (one of the flip'em shows, like Fast & Loud or the PowerBlock), they usually leave the wheelhouses if it's basically a stock suspension, or they cut them out and weld new ones in for a lowered suspension. You could raise the bed and go flat, true.

I noticed something. If you come down south to pick a bed up, there's someone else on the forum that needs a good crossmember - might get him or her to help you pay for the trip *grins*

RwP

Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Ndr
Amateur

lol, that's actually me that needs a good cross member. I'm building up a nice list of small things that the truck needs to make it more then just a winter beater...

Old 10-04-2015, 01:19 AM
RalphP
Champion

Yah, NDR, I didn't remember the name (and was too lazy to look it up), but I DID remember the "Pittsburg PA" *grins*

So, you're the guy who needs the crossmember? We have a few good ones around my neck of the woods for Gen1's, but if it's welded, you'll have to figure out how to get the old one off. If it's bolted on, plan on two days - one to Kroil or PBlaster the nuts, one to get it apart (yes, it's usually that easy down here.)

RwP

Quick Reply: Sheetmetal patches?