1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Mouldings and window trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Mouldings and window trim

Where can I find the trim pieces that seal the roll up windows? I can't find a site that shows pics of what they are selling and IDK the nomenclature used for the various parts. Also any inexpensive replacement mirrors?

Attached Thumbnails Mouldings and window trim-cracked-scraper.jpg   Mouldings and window trim-idk-name.jpg   Mouldings and window trim-mirror-fade.jpg  

Last edited by onemore94dak; 07-25-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:13 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Where can I find the trim pieces that seal the roll up windows? I can't find a site that shows pics of what they are selling and IDK the nomenclature used for the various parts. Also any inexpensive replacement mirrors?
Are you referring to the weather stripping or beltlines? If the latter I bought these but haven't installed them yet so dont know how good they are. If weather stripping rock auto carries them.
http://precisionrestorationparts.com/i-8951156-beltline-weatherstrip-fits-1987-1996-dodge-dakota.html

Rock also has side mirrors for under $50

Last edited by robertmee; 07-25-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

IDK what is weather stripping and don;t know what beltlines are. I want to replace the cracked part in the first pic. I call it the scraper. It looks to be all of one piece with the 1inch thick black plastic below it. I would like to replace all the sealing trim around the windows. The door seals look fine. EDIT OK I looked at the link. I can't really tell what they look like. They are calling it the weatherstrip I think that is what I am calling the scraper.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 07-25-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The part you're talking about is the beltline - either inside or outside. While the window is out to replace the outside beltline, you ought to go ahead and replace the window weathersealing; Precision Restoration sells all of it (use Robertmee's link and explore.)

Also, it's easy enough to figure out ... Google for an exploded parts diagram, and see what the official Mopar nomenclature and part numbers are. Such as, say, this diagram:

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=618099

RwP

Old 07-25-2016, 08:38 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

OK I'm gonna get the beltlines and glass channels. Thank You for the link robertmee.

Anyone have any mirror ideas? Best I have found so far is $85> a side.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
OK I'm gonna get the beltlines and glass channels. Thank You for the link robertmee.

Anyone have any mirror ideas? Best I have found so far is $85> a side.
As I mentioned above rock auto has them for less than 50. Otherwise check craigslist for someone parting out a Gen 1

Old 07-26-2016, 10:17 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by robertmee
As I mentioned above rock auto has them for less than 50. Otherwise check craigslist for someone parting out a Gen 1
Mea Culpa missed that.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:35 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I purchased those beltline weatherstrips from Precision Restoration, I believe I found them by RalphP's direction. They are EXCELLENT quality, much better than I expected for the price.

For the inner beltline I pulled the door card and flipped up the staples with a screwdriver and pliers, removed the old beltline, then reused the old staples through the same mounting holes.

For the outer beltline you actually might not have to remove the window. On my '93 there is only a single stop for the window bolted to the door. Remove the two bolts, pull the plastic stop out and the window will slide down out of your way enough to access the phillips screws holding the outer beltline on. However, I just pulled apart a door from an '88 and along with the aforementioned bolted on stop, there's this other stop riveted to the middle of the door. I decided I didn't need that stop and just drilled the rivets out.

edit: but if you're doing the glass channels then yeah window has to come out...I missed that the first read through.

Far as the mirrors go, if you're unhappy with the fading, I'd just spray paint or plastidip them. I wasn't about to drop a cent on new mirrors to replace my perfectly functional OEM ones, so I just plastidipped my faded mirrors silver.

Last edited by tbugden; 07-26-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Thanks Tbugden. I will wait until all parts arrive and just do each door all at once. I tried some restore stuff for the plastic and it just faded again in a few weeks. I have sprung for the mirrors. I'm in a place where I can right now which is why I am fixing the old stuff. Its still cheaper than buying a new truck. Maybe I'll look into plasdip? before I sell the old ones.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:34 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah there you go I know what you mean about just buying new stuff, it feels good to have brand new stuff sometimes. Still cheaper than buying a new truck for sure.

Plastidip is pretty cool. It's like spray paint but it's easily peeled off if you don't like it. However, as long as you clean the surface well it will not come off easily by itself.

Quick Reply: Mouldings and window trim