1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Valvoline atf+4

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvoline atf+4

Well, I finally cracked. I got the MAG-Hytek Transmission pan, is enroute from the left coast and with the holiday it should be here late next week. As a refresher this is the Mag-Hytek 545RFE transmisson drain pan that includes the drain plug.

Anyway, while pan is enroute I figured I would have everything else in place for the fluid/filter change when it arrives. I got 10 qts of valvoline ATF +4 and I checked the bottles. They all say Chrysler Approved ATF+4 but has anyone had feedback on this type? The only feedback I have noticed besides dealer ATF +4 is Kensai was talking about Mobil 1 ATF+4 but I have not been able to find it anywhere. I used Valvoline MAX LIFE for my engine oil and have had pretty good luck. Has anyone had any major issues with VALVOLINE SYNTHETIC ATF+4 ? The new pan comes with the flat filter, I can spring for the filter kit from dealer if necessary although I would prefer not to. It has been over 32K since last change, and I am trying to get it taken care of before my MSP move and avoid it in the winter.

Along those lines, do you think that if I took it to a local shop for fluid and fliter change only, NO FLUSH do you think they would install the new Hytek pan, filter and my own fluid?

Any ideas, anyone, anyone....bueller....bueller....bueller anyone!!!

MAGIC

Old 09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard and this is just hear say that Valvoline ATF+4 is the "exact" same fluid they put in the "mopar" brand bottles, Dunno if thats true or not. I see no issue with using Valvoline ATF+4, I would rate Valvoline right up there with mobile, I just like mobile because thats what I have always used and know they make a great oil.

Doubt they would use your fluid because this is where they make money, off using their fluid because of their discount. They may go ahead and install the pan for you though, I don't see them saying no to that. depends if the guy is having a bad day or not lol.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Mobil 1 is the King........IMHO!........ Each to their own. I don't see any issues with using the Valvoline ATF +4. Now the new pan you ordered might be larger (deeper) than OEM so you might need to get a filter made for that pan. It should take no more than 6 quarts to fill the trans tho so be careful not to over fill, although that pan plug is SOOOOOO helpful! As for the dealer to install the the pan????? Maybe but don't count your cookies! Make sure you install a rubber gasket and not cork on the pan during install. You only need to lubricate the rubber gasket with a lil grease then install making a better gasket and less messy.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:03 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't have any problems running Valvoline ATF+4.
Technically, you shouldn't have any problems running anything with ATF+4 displayed on the label, since Chrysler strictly licenses the use of it. (Yes, even the WalMart brand SuperTech was approved by Chrysler)

The Official ATF+4 Quality site: http://centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

(I've been running both Valvoline and Mopar -- depending on how much of each they have in stock at the store-- for 30,000 with no problems.)

And there is a differance between the normal Mobil Synthetic ATF (which is for Ford/GM), and Mobil ATF+4. (And, they've had this argument before -- ALL ATF+4 is synthetic)

Old 09-07-2009, 04:45 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Hydra, What you talking about willis? The pan is advertised as two quarts more capacity, I factored that in, but what are you talking about the filter? I know there is two filters, the flat one which they say comes with the pan and the spin on type which I will have to purchase. Unless I am missing something I dont recall reading about any special filters, the only thing I remember was the extra capacity and add two quarts to the capacity. I should be o.k. since I purchased 10 quarts.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

When you install a new bigger (deeper) pan you get a deep pan filter (the flat one). This way you take fluid off close to the bottom and not the middle of the pan.

Spinner is the same.

FRAM Part # FT1223 {Internal transmission Cartridge}
4 Wheel Drive; With deep pan; 45/55/68RFE Transmissions; Use until inventory is depleted
$29.79$0.00$29.79

Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can vouch for anyone questioning Valvoline ATF+4 as that is what I been using for the past couple years.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Now I know that it dosen't say your truck but the company you bought the pan from might have a special filter that has a longer neck. Call em!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:04 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

They did mention that a flat filter was included with the kit, I guess that is what they are referring to. I was out of town last week so it should be there when I get back today.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Thats it!

Now from now on you need to get replacement filters from them after the mod.

Quick Reply: Valvoline atf+4