1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

T/S & Body Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 PM
justb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/S & Body Lift

Ok, I've read many threads on lifting my Durango. I have decided to go with a T/S and 3" Body lift for a total of 5" of lift. This, from what I've read, will allow me to run 33"x12.5's.
I was thinking of the Rancho lift but can't find one, plus there not cheap.
I have a 2000 D SLT 4.7 and all I've done for performance to it so far (besides heated seats!) is a K&N intake and Jet performance chip.
I have some questions regarding wheels for running 33x12.5's.
What would be the difference between a 15" and 16" wheel. I want to get 15" black wheels, what width would I get and is 15" ok or should I be looking at 16" wheels?
Also, what other issues, if any, should I be concerned about after lifting?
Better brakes? Better ball joints? ( if that's possible)
I know some of this has been covered before, I guess now that I've committed to changing my Durango, I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way. I'm willing to spend some $ to do it right, meaning if new brakes are a must that's fine, if not that's even better!
Also, I do plan on some 4 wheeling but nothing crazy. I also plan on using my Durango for a daily driver in the winter. (Going to the mountain for skiing and what not).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

for ball joints get some moog greaseable bjs, they are better than stock, the breaks, unless you have lots of money for a viper brake conversion kit or something the best you can do it drilled/slotted routers and performance or ceramic pads, with the 15" rims you wont be able to fit bigger rotors inside, if you go with the 16" rims there is a guy who did a conversion to the bigger stock brakes offered in 03 onto a truck which didnt come with them, if you want to go that route, but its more than kind of a big project so take that on at your own risk
http://bigdakotabrakes.gotdns.com/brakes.html

the tires should fit with that lift, of course with the bigger tires you will be stressing the balljoints, cv joints, power steering according to some, just keep an eye on anything that is changed, even if you just change the angle of a mounting braket or something small as this could make a difference, im sure indy/hydra/duranged will correct an points i am mistaken on

just keep in mind he is not 100% accurate on all his facts, the durango and dakota front in 03 were both offered with the smaller brakes and the bigger ones that he put on, if they had the bigger ones they were the same, and if the two trucks had the smaller ones they were the same, i went back and forth with him in email on it and finally proved it but he never updated the website, just FYI

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 12-01-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 AM
justb

Thanks shrpshtr325, I'll check out the ball joints. And when you say "he is not 100% accurate on all his facts" who is "he"?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the guy in the link i posted to the brake swap, if you dont plan on doing it dont worrya bout it, he claims that the 03 dak and 03 durango front braking systems/mounting hardware are different, and he is wrong, i have worked on both personally and they are identical, (dodge probably used different part numbers just to screw with guys like him)

the only differences are between the two different braking systems offered on the front of these trucks, the small, single piston brakes that all pre-03 trucks got (as far as i know they all got the small ones) and the larger ones which 03+ daks/durangos got which supposedly worked better, my dads 03 dak had them and i couldnt tell a difference btwn his truck stoping and mine, except that his pedal was softer than mine . . .

Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you pretty much nailed it down Sharp.

If you do 15's or 16's you will need to get 2" offset rims from OEM.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I think you pretty much nailed it down Sharp.

If you do 15's or 16's you will need to get 2" offset rims from OEM.
that seems to be a trend for me lately

Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now don't keep saying that or he'll have a swelled head! LOL...

Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
Now don't keep saying that or he'll have a swelled head! LOL...
nahhh that shouldnt be a problem, not for a little while anyway

Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
justb

Thanks for the info guys.
Ok, sorry if these questions are stupid but I’m a photographer not a mechanic! I checked out the Moog site and the ball joints for the 2000-20003 Dakota/Durango 4WD come “front suspension lower” and “front suspension upper”. Do I need both?
I want to get all of the lifting work done at one time so I guess I should buy the ball joints I need first and have them put on when I do the T/S and body lift, plus the new wheels and tires.
As far as the wheels, I’m looking at series 97 Rock Crawler’s. I’ve found they come 15x8 size 6x4.5 bolt pattern or 15x10 6x4.5 bolt pattern.
What do you guys recommend as far as wheel size?
One of the other things I've decided to do was go with the magnaflow muffler. What will I gain if I go with a whole new magnaflow exhaust? Or "magnaflow cat-back exhaust system"?
Also, with the 3" body lift, will I have a 3" gap between the bumper and body, someone told me that today and I was checking out the Kennesaw MTN bumpers and see they come with special Mounting brackets to accommodate 3" body lift.
(Kennesaw bumpers are something else I would like to get for both front and back after the lift is complete, eventually).
Thanks again in advance.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

you can replace both the ball joints (upper and lower), but the uppers tend to be the weakest link if you cant afford to do them both, but if money isnt a huge issue replacing both will not hurt

Quick Reply: T/S & Body Lift