1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Audio and ABS questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 AM
duckee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio and ABS questions.

My first question is about installing speakers into my 99 Durango.

Is their a certain depth i need to be aware of before purchasing speakers?

And my second question is about my abs system.

About 3 weeks ago after having a problem with my differential, my ABS and parking brake light under the speedometer came on. So now ive got no ABS on my Durango . My mechanic told me that it must have gone out with the differential but after replacing the differential, the problem still remains. He then tried replacing the cars computer but that did nothing. He has run out of ideas on what the problem might be. And help?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

theck the rear wheel speed sensor, its on TOP of the rear differential, if thats not new it is a likely culprit, and you could also check the trans speed sensor should be on the output shaft of the transmission, drivers-side

and the speakers that are in the truck now are 2 3/8" deep, if you save the plastic ring that they came out of you should have no problems fitting any normal speaker back in

Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Remember that you will need to replace the speaker with a 2ohm speaker and not a 4ohm.

Also for you question on ABS. Yes it is located on the top of the rear differential and here is a DIY:

Speed Sensor/ABS Sensor Replacement
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...ensor-diy.html

Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 PM
duckee

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Remember that you will need to replace the speaker with a 2ohm speaker and not a 4ohm.

Also for you question on ABS. Yes it is located on the top of the rear differential and here is a DIY:

Speed Sensor/ABS Sensor Replacement
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...ensor-diy.html

I've been digging around for 2ohm speakers but am only seeing 4ohm. Any brands and series i should be looking into? Any advice?

Also does it NEED to be 2ohm, or can it be 4ohm? whats the difference. Sorry I'm a bit of a noob at car audio.

Last edited by duckee; 01-02-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

look into the infinty kappa series they are a higher end version of what was offered as a stock upgrade to the sound system

Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 PM
duckee

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
look into the infinty kappa series they are a higher end version of what was offered as a stock upgrade to the sound system
What will happen if i use 4ohm instead of 2 ohm?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

it will not sound right, unless you upgrade the headunit to one which will accept the 4 ohm speakers.

but as long as you have the stock headunit stick with the 2 ohm speakers, they will sounds better and last longer and im not sure if using the 4 ohms will damage the stock headunit, i know if you use 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm headunit you will damage the headunit

Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by duckee
I've been digging around for 2ohm speakers but am only seeing 4ohm. Any brands and series i should be looking into? Any advice?

Also does it NEED to be 2ohm, or can it be 4ohm? whats the difference. Sorry I'm a bit of a noob at car audio.
Yes it NEEDS to be 2ohm as 4ohm will only sound VERY VERY low. If you are using the OEM set up you NEED to use 2ohm. There is an amplifier in the passenger side kick panel and if you change out the system you need to remove the amp. If you just want to leave it (the easy way) just replace the speakers.

Here is some information:

Replacement Speakers
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...t-speaker.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...-controls.html

Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using 4 ohm speakers will not hurt the infinity system with 2 ohm amp. It just won't sound as loud. I am using Infinity reference 6012's and they are 4 ohm's and they work great!

The current Infinity reference product out in market today is the 6032's. They are 2 ohm's.

I heard that the reference/kappas will come with the adaptors you will need in order for the speaker to fit the OEM plastic spacer.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Infinity **IS** 2 Ohm with wire impedance supporting 4 Ohm.

IndyD

Quick Reply: Audio and ABS questions.