1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dead 98, maybe alternator, help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 AM
linkavich90210
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead 98, maybe alternator, help?

My durango had trouble starting twice in the past 2 months. Both times it occured after very cold weather (below freezing, I live in GA) and I had to jump it off to get it started. The first time I had it jumped off and everything was fine for about a month. Then the cold came again and it happened again. This time when I had it jumped off a belt was making an extremely loud squeaking noise as well as a burning smell. My "check gages" AND "air bag" light came on. Also, while it was running, I turned my lights on and the RPM went down to 0 (yes it hit the peg, but the car was still barely running). I stopped it immediately and am currently waiting for a response. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 AM
linkavich90210
Default RE: Dead 98, maybe alternator, help?

I have checked some other forums and websites and one idea that I read said that some belts have trouble gripping at low temperatures. Could this be causing the trouble and smell?

Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 AM
ganzhimself
Professional

Hmm. I have no problem starting up my 98 in the frigid winters of Wisconsin. Just replaced the battery in December, but the old one could crank the engine when it was near 0F.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thonking a close to dead battery + an old belt...

Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM
ganzhimself
Professional

I'd have to second replacing the belt. It only takes a few minutes to do and it's going to help to ensure you're not going to have the joy of experiencing a broken belt in the cold weather.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM
2000RT

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

I'm thonking a close to dead battery + an old belt...
+1

Old 02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I agree about changing the belt. Take the old belt and put it under a rear seat or somewhere in the truck. You never know when it could come in handy if you end up breaking a belt. If the belt is slipping, this would explain both the smell (the belt sliding on the pulleys) and the motor not starting. It would happen because if the belt is slipping enough, it isn't cranking your altenator enough to charge your battery (or just barely enough) I would replace it ASAP because you don't want to have to replace a battery as well.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Mike954
Rookie

MY first thought would be to check the starter. It should have a Nippondenso starter on it, which means in the box portion of the starter that the drive gear is, there are positive and negative contacts that wear down and will give you problems with starting your car. Sometimes it cranks sometimes it gives you fits, or makes a clicking type sound. You can easily change those contacts inside the starter cheaply instead of replacing the starter.

The belt noise and the smell is most likely because you have a pulley that is either locked up or close to being locked up, when you take the belt off check to make sure all of the pulleys that the belt is on roll without making any noise and or roll at all.

Now when you said you jumped your car off, would it stay running without jumper cables atached? If so your Alternator should not be the problem. With the car running put a voltmeter to the battery and see what the reading is, if it is around 14volts your Alt should be fine, if it is over you probably have a messed up regulator. Also check the voltage of the battery with the car off, it should still read close to 14volts. If it is under 13 you probably need a new battery. Personal preference is Interstate batteries, but a good rule of thumb is always go for the heavier battery.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM
bruce_man123@hotmail.com

Does your rear wiper work ?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 AM
dxloat
Veteran

Hey pal, your trying to revive a post from 2007.

Quick Reply: Dead 98, maybe alternator, help?