1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Left Signal & Hazrds Dead When Headlights are on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Bimmer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Signal & Hazrds Dead When Headlights are on.

I'm stumped but then I'm no electrician. Here's the scenario:

Hazards and right turn signal work fine when the headlights are off. The display on my radio blinks with the turn signal when the LEFT turn signal is activated.

Turn the headlights or even just the running lights and only the right turn signal works. The left doesn't work, the hazards don't work and even though the right does work....the radio display is not effected.

Before you comment on the flasher, that's the first thing I did, thinking that was the problem, I replaced it. That did not resolve my issue. Any thoughts?
Thanks folks and Happy New Year!

Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the plugs inside and make sure there is no corrosion. Your issue should be a simple grounding problem. You may also need to run a new ground if you cant find it.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:34 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like you've got a short somewhere. I'd check the tail lights first (see if you have the problem with them disconnected) and check the wires to the front lights too.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

Thanks gentlemen! I will be checking those spots out tomorrow. It's been too wet out today and tomorrow will be sunny and warmer.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Bimmer
Rookie

So, it's 5:45am and I'm taking my daughter to work. She points at the steady left hand turn signal light after I turn on the headlights and she says, "What's that?" Not 2 seconds later, the dash lights fade out. Headlights on or off makes no difference. The left turn signal starts working normal only now the dash lights flash with the left turn signal. Oh, and did I mention that when I put my foot ON the brake the dash light comes on albeit dimly? Flippin' electrical gremins! Come warmer temps and daylight so I can start looking for the grounding issue. Did I mention I'm NOT an electrician?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:52 AM
that_guy
Champion

Well if it helps any one of the couple places where the brake light, parking light (runs the dash lights too), and turn signal wiring are all in the same place is the tail lights.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

I went immediately to the left rear tail lights. The center bulb filament was fine but the bulb was dark on one side AND the socket itself was discolored from high heat. I bought a new bulb but I'm going to the U-Pull place tomorrow and get a good socket for the bulb. My luck I'd put in the new bulb and blow it on a bad socket. Most likely grab some spare bulbs, relays and flasher while I'm there.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

The update is this. I went to the wrecking yard and picked up two great looking tail light sockets with bulbs. Replaced those and no change. The socket that was bad was the brake light. So I went and checked the right sockets and sure enough, the brake socket and bulb were scorched, so I replaced that one also. (Glad I grabbed 2 from the wrecking yard.) Still no change. Right now the turn signals work just fine both with the headlights on or off. The issue is NO Running Lights and NO Tail Lights. The headlights and brake lights work fine, including the high beams and the flashers work fine also.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
that_guy
Champion

Try disconnecting the connector from the tail light itself, although it sounds like your parking light fuse is out now. I think it's in fuse box in the dash when you open the driver's door.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

After having replaced BOTH parking light plugs and bulbs and still no parking lights, I sourced a post on another forum where it says that the parking lights are linked to the dash lights. If the parking lights don't work, neither will the dash lights. Having originally just a problem with the turn signals, I checked a number of fuses for the turn signals and the clusters, but never had a reason to check the parking light fuse (#14). Sure enough it was blown. Overall, I'm sure that the two bad sockets for the brake lights initiated the flux in my power problems. It then traveled to the parking light fuse and blew it. So, the $5 I spent on two sockets w/bulbs, and OEM flasher was a pretty good deal!......I'm back to being a happy camper. Thanks for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: Left Signal & Hazrds Dead When Headlights are on.