1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

On the quest for more grip!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM
wes_wes101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the quest for more grip!

My 4.7L 2WD 2002 D has an open differential, which I'm thinking is pretty common. This summer, I'll be towing a boat, and my boat ramp is mostly grass. I'd like to have both rear wheels pushing me forward instead of just one spinning helplessly on the wet grass as I slide into the murky depths.

So, whats the easiest way to upgrade to the LSD or anti-spin rear diff? Can I go to any shop and ask for more grip, or do I need to order the parts myself and then take it to a shop?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:26 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Easiest way is to take it to a reputable drivetrain shop and have them install a aftermarket locker.
If you dont know, dont mess with it.
Off road shops are a good choice but some cost more than others. As with any shop. Look around.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RDuck
Easiest way is to take it to a reputable drivetrain shop and have them install a aftermarket locker.
If you dont know, dont mess with it.
Off road shops are a good choice but some cost more than others. As with any shop. Look around.

+1 Differentials are tricky and def not for the DIY'ers. It's one thing that is very costly to begin with but, can be double the cost and you without a ride if its not done right.

I used to think people were blowing smoke when they advised me to take mine to a shop till i decided to get prices for the job... out of 10 professional garages 1 was willing to take on differential work.. That one happend to be a custom 4x4 shop.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
I used to think people were blowing smoke when they advised me to take mine to a shop till i decided to get prices for the job... out of 10 professional garages 1 was willing to take on differential work.. That one happend to be a custom 4x4 shop.
+1 on that, most shops won't even think to touch differentials. I went to a local small town shop when I wanted to do a regear and I luckily happen found one that was a self declared custom Ram expert. He did a re-gear front and rear to 410's at a great price using quality Yukon parts. I found a two regular custom shops that wanted DOUBLE the price!!!! You have to look around and question the parts they use as well.

The LSD carrier that is available for your rig that is OEM, well that design with clips is a bad design. There are other ways to upgrade to LSD inserts or better yet a locker as stated would be your best option. Personally I would do electric over pneumatic, just my opinion for regular street builds.

Also maybe look into some Mud Terrain tires.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd put in a selectable locker (with an 'open'/'locked' switch in cabin), but that's just me. I did two in my Jeep (myself). They are a grand though, so you have to really use it often to make it worthwhile.

You could also just put a tow hook on the front of the D and buy a tow strap. Some other boat launcher could help you with a pull if needed.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 PM
wes_wes101
Rookie

Hydra, so I shouldn't try to convert to an LSD using the stock parts? Just go full locker? (Have a shop do it, of course.)

Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

To convert it to a LSD you would need to replace your carrier as the carrier cast itself is different where the clutch plates (Spider Gears) install. Someone could make a LSD setup for your current carrier but I don't know of anyone in particular. If it were me, I'd go to an electric locker or go buy some nice 31" mud tires.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've heard of a powertrax unit that is a mix of an lsd and a locker (it's essentially a locker that engages when it detects slip). It's supposed to be installable without having to mess with all the tolerances in the gears.

Found the link:
http://www.powertrax.com/index.php/p...ertrax-no-slip

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 PM
wes_wes101
Rookie

Hydra, I anticipated this problem, and got 31.5" Cooper Discoverer ATP's and they didnt help, haha!
Thanks that_guy, I'll check it out.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
... powertrax unit ... supposed to be installable without having to mess with all the tolerances in the gears.
Those are referred to as 'lunchbox lockers', because you take then to work and can do the job over lunch (meaning it's easy). You only swap out the center gears of an open diff, without having to pull the carrier. They are not as strong as a full carrier based unit, but a lot of guys use them because of cost and install ease.

Quick Reply: On the quest for more grip!