1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front end diagnosis help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:37 AM
lynnosler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end diagnosis help needed

Ongoing ugh. Just replaced the upper ball joints. Prior to that CVs, lower joints, wheel hubs and bearings, brakes (disks, pads, calipers), tires, 3 front end alignments and I STILL have a vibration in the right front tire that is now only felt/heard (makes an off balance noise, almost like a wagon wheel) when making turns. I am about over trying to figure this out... but I have come too far NOT to get it straightened out. ANY suggestions please?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming everything you touched is perfect... next I'd consider that the steering rack has larger force on it when turning, and it's bushing mounted.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 AM
lynnosler
Rookie

When the last CV was replaced (about a month ago) the old one was missing a washer. So the new one has a washer. My concern is that the other side is missing this washer because they were both done at the same time and the vibration is coming from the side that could be missing this washer. My brother-in-law says that wouldn't make a difference, but if one side is off balance from the other side... would this NOT make it vibrate? Even a small vibration could be noticed if someone is paying close enough attention correct? And I pay A LOT of attention!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Strocket

You didn't say anything about tire balancing. I realize you got new tires but depending on where you went and what balancer they used tire could still be off balance enough to cause your symptoms. Even with the best machines it could still be off. There's been times I've gotten two or three different weight locations, tried a different machine, got a completely different location, ran it on the first machine again and then had no issues. That might me something else to consider

Old 07-24-2015, 06:37 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My old goodyear tires had a minor vibration around 70mph no matter how many times they were balanced. Nothing with my new firestones.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 AM
lynnosler
Rookie

So, the front end vibration/noise is yet again, another CV and Wheel hub. This is the 4th CV and 5th Hub in 2 years. Why? I am going to look for a hub with a lifetime warranty, but the CV was still under warranty. I can't keep doing this. This truck is needing torn down so often, the bolts don't have time to rust!

Has anyone had experience with this kind of behavior? I drive this to work and haul my dog to the park, that's about the extent of the wear and tear, so no off road or anything that would just cause them to go out.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Long shot, but try swapping the brake rotors left/right.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM
that_guy
Champion

What kind of hub did you buy? Cheap ones wont last, I like to use the Timken ones.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:37 PM
lynnosler
Rookie

I bought a cheap one and they kept replacing them. But I am going with a Raybesto Professional grade one this time with a 3 year warranty. This Durango has me broke, can't afford the Timken. I have put way more money into this than it will ever be worth in just 2 years. Kind of saddens me, because I had high hopes for it. But not anymore. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of it and not lose my *** more than I already have.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 PM
that_guy
Champion

Well if you buy cheap parts, you are going to end up loosing your *** on replacing them.

Quick Reply: Front end diagnosis help needed