1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ford taurus electric fan conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:14 PM
snipem
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford taurus electric fan conversion

hey my names grant and wondering if anyone here has done the ford taurus electric fan conversion as id like to upgrade my truck a little bit. i have the fan from a '94 taurus and now just need to know what all i will need to wire it into my truck. if possible id like the fan to stay off until it is needed and then switch to the slow speed and then the high speed at different temperatures but i was told not to give current to both power wires at the same time so im not sure how id wire in a switch and 2 relays to do that as i dont want the slow speed to run all the time, only when it is needed as well the high speed only when the slow isnt doing a good enough job. im installing it on a 2003 durango with the 4.7l motor if that helps. a parts list and wiring diagram would be highly appreciated.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've always used either a Flex-a-Lite 180 or 183. Single speed, 3300 cfm with very low amp draw (18 amp startup).

I think when using the Taurus fan it's important to use both speeds so you can start up in low to limit that crazy amp draw on high (24 amps vs. 36 amps).

With a single speed wiring is easy and the controller is cheap from Autozone. A little more complicated for dual fans and the controller is a bit more, but not terrible.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:56 PM
snipem
Amateur

thanks hammer but will this setup turn the low speed off before the high speed turns on?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:19 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a Taurus fan and use a dakota digital controller to run it. It has a temp sensor as well as toggles for the a/c to turn it on, and it does handle turning off power to the low speed before switching on the high speed. With an 03 you might be able to use the stock electric fan wiring to toggle the fan on when needed (tuners can adjust the temp it comes on at I think), then have a single pole double throw switch for manual control. I think I'd do the controller instead though.

More info:
http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...much-more.html

And yes, hammer's schematic will turn off the low relay when the high comes on, you can see that the middle relay gets power with the high one, so it interrupts the ground to the low speed relay.

Last edited by that_guy; 08-21-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:48 PM
snipem
Amateur

ok thanks but ive looked up the dakota digital control and like it but it is out of my price range unfortunately for where i live.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:34 AM
snipem
Amateur

so are you guys sure these relay sizes and wire sizes will be able to handle the surge on startup? and will my alternator be ok as i just bought a new alternator and battery so i cant afford to buy another new alternator?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:51 AM
that_guy
Champion

Those relay sizes will be fine. You ca always step up to 8 gauge wire if you want. What I'd do separate form that diagram is fuse the low and high relays separately. I use 30amps for the low and 50 for the high.

This is a simpler diagram for a single speed fan. Basically what you'll have is a second relay and trigger for the second speed, and if you want another relay to interrupt the low trigger ground when the high comes on.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 PM
snipem
Amateur

so can i use 2 foab 14b192-aa 30/40 amp 5 pin relays and use a 4 pin 70amp ford relay instead of a 75 amp as the 75 amp are really expensive? and the wiring i think im going to use is hammers diagram.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM
that_guy
Champion

70amp should be fine.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:43 PM
snipem
Amateur

ok thanks because i just got 3 30/40 amp relays free and i can get a 70 amp tomorrow for free but the bosch 75 amp relays are 78$ and i had to make sure it would work because im pretty sure the taurus fans run off of 2 40 amp relays in parallel in the taurus cars.

Quick Reply: ford taurus electric fan conversion