1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Filling Gas Tank Is REALLY Slow - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:48 PM
LLCPREZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling Gas Tank Is REALLY Slow - Please Help

Hi,

Ever since I purchased my 99 Durango, I've had to fill the tank very slowly. I cannot hold any gas dispenser down all the way without it stopping abruptly.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I've been dealing with it for a year but I dont want to deal with it during the winter.

It takes me a good 5 mins just to get $20 in the tank.

Thanks, and let me know if I can give any more details to help you answer.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:22 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Filling Gas Tank Is REALLY Slow - Please Help

The previous owner put an obstruction in there so when you fill up, you will have to sit there forever and watch your money go away slowly, hoping that it will make you feel depressed thinking about it at every fillup.

No, but anyways, I have no idea how gas pumps work (how they shut off automatically), but my guess would be some kind of obstruction of some type. Sorry I can't really be of help.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Dodge_Love

I've had this problem before with my Durango. I'm pretty sure that the positioning of the gas tank is in a way that the pump thinks it's full. I just turn the pump a little to the left or right while I'm filling up so that the pump doesn't think my tank is full. Pumps have a safety system and if any gas goes back up or touches the pump, it turns off. If you have any other questions maybe I can help.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:17 PM
LLCPREZ

Yes, I've tried turning the pump every which way. EVERY! something is blocking the path down to the gas tank I think. I have no idea what since I bought it like this. Is there anything else that anyone knows of that is the usual suspect for causing this? Thanks,

Old 08-17-2006, 07:30 PM
JasonGS

Same problem here. I resolved it by pulling the spout out some, so that it is only in the neck about an inch or so. You just need to be more careful so that it doesn't pop out and spray gas everywhere.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:50 PM
LLCPREZ

Same problem here. I resolved it by pulling the spout out some, so that it is only in the neck about an inch or so. You just need to be more careful so that it doesn't pop out and spray gas everywhere.
Yep, I tried that too. Damm I just am the unlucky guy with no quick work around. Well thanks for all the answers, I may just have to bring it in and get it looked at.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:05 PM
sailfish

I had the same problem. There are two lines leading down to the tank. One is a vent line the other the fill line. It seems some kid in my block put a small toy ball in my fill line. At the tank there is a cross built in to the fill side of the tank to prevent siphoning and it will catch a large obstruction. So when you go to fill the tank it is very slow. One of your two lines is clogged. Do no cut the lines to remove them. They are $100 + at the dealer. Remove them at the tank, check the cross hatched area on the tank, and blow them clean. If the air is still restricted, remove them at the hard fill line (the other end)and check it from there.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Dodge_Love

Can you really get a foreign object like a toy ball down into the gas tank? It seems like it would be pretty hard, it's not like it's just a large opening there.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:52 AM
sailfish

Can you really get a foreign object like a toy ball down into the gas tank? It seems like it would be pretty hard, it's not like it's just a large opening there.

Don't have any kids, do ya?

Old 08-22-2006, 04:47 PM
allenj280

I did this once. I would be willing to bet that someone put some fuel injector cleaner or something along those lines and let the little round paper cover fall down into the gas filling tube. There is a screen down there to catch anything that may try to make its way into the gas tank. I did that (like and idiot) and it cost me $40.00 to have them remove it. Good luck.

James

Quick Reply: Filling Gas Tank Is REALLY Slow - Please Help