1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Pt cruizer clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
dcmcguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pt cruizer clutch

Will a Pt clutch fit in my 96 sohc neon??? I work at a ford dealership and our parts guy called a dodge dealership and they said it wouldnt fit. and then they called me dumb...so, any advice would be great. thanks

Old 11-30-2006, 09:24 PM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran
Default RE: Pt cruizer clutch

i dont know the years but they fit...just wait for das to chime in with what years

edit: i even think das has a pt clutch in his neon(or had)

Old 11-30-2006, 09:52 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dcmcguy

Will a Pt clutch fit in my 96 sohc neon??? I work at a ford dealership and our parts guy called a dodge dealership and they said it wouldnt fit. and then they called me dumb...so, any advice would be great. thanks
you shoulda told to kiss your azz when they called you dumb.. i wonder why some people always pick on and make fun of what they dont understand or havent read up on..i believe the "High Torque" clutch that they sell on modern performance is the PT clutch, but im not 100% sure though..like ziggy said....the clutch would fit but not sure which years

Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

i did the swap in my neon, it had the traditional clutch in it (bolts from the tranny side to the flywheel).

all you need to do is order like an 03 pt clutch modular style and take the starter plate from an automatic neon engine (i know that the engines are the same, but an engine that had an auto will have the flywheel that the torque converter bolted up to) take that plate off the donar engine and bolt it up to your crank, then bolt the pt clutch on that like you would a torque converter. pretty damn easy actually. pt clutches are one unit, non servicable, and no need to use an alignment tool either. hope that helped ya out. i used an 03 pt clutch from another junk yard, 35 bucks shipped, and was 98 percent new.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 PM
dcmcguy
Veteran

THANKS for the info!!! but 1 ?... whats the starter plate?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

starter plate/flywheel. it is what the clutch assembly bolts to, or the torque converter. like a 12 inch flat round plate that has teeth like a huge flat gear. cant miss it!

Old 11-30-2006, 11:13 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also just use the flywheel from a manual neon with a non-modular clutch......its the same as the flywheel from an auto....

you can use the clutch from any pt cruiser from 2001-2003(maybe newer but not positive).....as long as its from a ragular pt cruiser and not from a gt turbo

Old 12-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

you can also just use the flywheel from a manual neon with a non-modular clutch......its the same as the flywheel from an auto....
non-modular=traditional. it is not the same plate as an auto. trust me, i did it. for one, the pt style clutch(modular) has an extra steel section on it, and if you look at the "traditional" clutch, you will see that this extra steel section is actually part of the flywheel from the traditional clutch setup. hence the reason that the modular clutches are NOT servicable, meaning you cannot take that steel plate off the clutch to change the discs out because it is one unit. now, the traditional clutches have that steel plate as one unit with the flywheel so you CAN service the clutch and replace the discs. i can take a picture of the tyraditional and modular flywheels/starter plates if you would like proof. i still have the traditional one laying around holding misc papers from flying everywhere, and i can sepperate my tranny from my engine, i need to do that anyways to i can get my engine on the stand for the turbo install. its up to you, but to sum it up, NO, the "flywheels" are not the same from auto and manual transmissions.

typing fast pwns me. damn fat fingers!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 01 PT clutch on my 97 and it fit fine.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

probably because you already had a modular clutch setup, some neons came modular, and some didnt. he will have to find out once he drops the tranny and looks at the clutch.

Quick Reply: Pt cruizer clutch