1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

How do you install new rear struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:01 PM
thaguamanian
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you install new rear struts?

Need help on installing rear struts. Roughly how long does this precedure take for a first timer? Step by step procedure on how to uninstall old struts and install new struts please.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do you install new rear struts?

STRUT ASSEMBLY REMOVAL
(1) Raise vehicle, I use the rear crossmember as a good lifting point, and place on jackstands.
(2) Remove the rear wheel and tire.
(3) Remove hydraulic flex hose bracket, from bracket on rear strut assembly. If vehicle is equipped with Anti-Lock brakes, the wheel speed sensor cable routing clip is also attached to the strut assembly bracket.
(4) Support rear knuckle, suspension and brake components of vehicle before removing clevis bracket
to knuckle attaching bolts. Do not let weight of rear knuckle and assembled components hang unsupported when strut is removed.
CAUTION: The knuckle to strut assembly attaching bolts are serrated and must not be turned during
removal. Remove nuts while holding bolts stationary in knuckle.
(5) Remove the 2 clevis bracket bolts attaching strut assembly to rear knuckle.
(6) Lower vehicle. Access to rear upper strut mount to strut tower attaching bolts, is through the
trunk of the vehicle.
(7) Remove carpet (if required) from top of strut tower. Then remove rubber dust shield from top of strut tower, this will allow easier access to upper strut mount attaching nuts.
(8) Loosen but do not remove the 4 upper strut mount to strut tower attaching nuts. Then while supporting the strut assembly fully remove the 4 strut mount attaching nuts.
(9) Remove strut assembly from knuckle, by sliding knuckle out of clevis bracket on strut assembly. Then remove strut assembly from vehicle.

INSTALL
(1) Position strut assembly back into vehicle with the 4 studs on strut mount assembly through holes
in strut tower of vehicle. Install the 4 strut mount to body attaching nuts onto mount studs. Torque the 4 strut mount to body attaching nuts to 34 N·m (300 in. lbs).
(2) Install dust shield into hole on top of strut tower. Install carpeting back on top of rear strut tower.
(3) Raise vehicle.
CAUTION: The knuckle to strut assembly attaching bolts are serrated and must not be turned during
installation. Install and torque nuts while holding bolts stationary in knuckle.
(4) Install knuckle assembly into clevis bracket on strut assembly. Install the 2 clevis bracket to knuckle
assembly attaching bolts and nuts. Torque both clevis bracket to knuckle assembly attaching nuts to 95 N·m (70 ft. lbs.).
(5) Install hydraulic flex hose bracket, on strut assembly bracket (Fig. 4). Install and securely
tighten bolt attaching hose bracket to strut bracket. If vehicle is equipped with Anti-Lock brakes, the
wheel speed sensor cable routing clip is also attached to the strut assembly bracket.
(6) Install wheel and tire assembly on vehicle.
(7) Lower the car and get it aligned.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:57 PM
prplhaze
Professional

Wow, that how-to makes it sound like it's really difficult. I did the rear struts on my car with a friends help, and had both done in less than an hour.It was MUCH easier than I thought it would be.I would say its even easier than replacing starter, or alternator.I dont understand #7 Lower the car and get it aligned... Everything goes back together in same exact holes....how could this affect the alignment.? o.0

Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 AM
das2123
Legend

You should have the alignment checked when doing suspension work. Technically yes, everything should be the same, but checks are free.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
grswat
Veteran

I had a beast of a time with one of the lower bolts that had apparently been rusted in solid since 95. I had to drill through the bolt and use a smaller bolt to secure it. The strut split in two peices when I took it out. Apparently 12 yrs and 165000 miles was too much for it.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 PM
mikeaxe

what about the springs, are they independent of the struts?
thanks.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: mikeaxe

thanks.
Unless they are coilovers, then yes, they are independent of the struts.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Aerorat
All Star

ORIGINAL: das2123

ORIGINAL: mikeaxe

thanks.
Unless they are coilovers, then yes, they are independent of the struts.
I wouldn't say independent. They will come out in one piece, but do be care there could besome mechanical energy stored and cause you injury. I have seen it before but is rare for it to do on the neons but would rather be safe instead of sorry

Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
serialbowl00

I'm going to replace all 4 of mine. Before I dive in, do I need a spring compressor to remove and install the assemblies or will they just unbolt and remove?

Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 PM
vlmuke
Professional

yes you need a spring compressor and one thats designed for struts not regular coils there is lots on energy stored in the springs the reason why is when you change the struts the alignment characteristics could change mostly camber but they could effect toe and caster too as sometimes the holes aren't always in the same location even thought they are supposed to be actually changing struts arent that hard there is only 5 or 6 bolts holding them on depending on the model of the car I think on the neon its four on top and two on the bottom when I worked at a garage we could change all 4 in a couple of hours or less

Quick Reply: How do you install new rear struts?