1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiring diagram viper engine W250 1989

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
The Norwegian
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring diagram viper engine W250 1989

Hi

I'm new here, so hello to everyone.

My viper switch is broken, så until I can get a new one, I need some help to determine which wire goes where.

On the engine there are four wires (or five actually, but two of them are connected) in the connector connecting two main wires on the base of the engine. Can someone tell me which wire does what, and how to mount a threepole switch temporarily.

I hope my english is readable.

Edit: How is the engine speed controlled? Is there a reley somewhere, or a resistor?

The N.

Last edited by The Norwegian; 05-24-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:34 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Intermittent wiper motors are the same as 2 speed wiper motors but the switches are different and the intermittent system has an intermittent wiper control unit. The intermittent switch has an internal variable resistor. There are no relays.

The red/yellow wire is the high speed. The brown is the low speed. The dark green and the dark blue have to do with the self park feature. The ground is through the motor mount to the firewall. Apply 12 volts to the terminal where the red/yellow wire is connected to get high speed. Apply 12 volts to the terminal where the brown wire is connected to get low speed. The wipers may or may not self park when power is removed.

Are you sure it is a problem with the switch? Exactly what are the symptoms?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
The Norwegian
Amateur

Thank you for your answer.
Yes the switch is broken due to a break in and attemt to steal the truck.
If I understand you correctly the terminal you reffer to is located on the viper engine?

Edit: I looked at the wires. The brown one seems to also have a white stripe. And there is also a green wire, whats the purpose of this?

regards

The N.

Last edited by The Norwegian; 05-24-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM
SEAL
Champion

Yes the terminal on the wiper motor. My brown wire has a white stripe also. Sorry I missed that at first glance but the white is almost gone on mine. The green and blue are for the auto park system. They maintain power to the motor until the wiper blades return to the bottom of the window.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:59 PM
The Norwegian
Amateur

Hi again.
Then we have almost named all the wires :-)
We have the highspeed, low speed and two wires controlling the return of the blades. Then there's the last wire. It is five wires going into the terminal, two of them in the same place, which gives four connectors/pins into the terminal and two out, one black and one white.

What about this fifth wire? It's too dark outside here in Norway so I can't see the colours.

regards

The N.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 AM
SEAL
Champion

I only have 4 wires on mine. The terminal where the blue wire connects may have 2 wires if your truck has a diesel engine wiring harness. One goes to the #6 fuse for power to the auto park system and the other goes to the air conditioner compressor only on a diesel.

You cannot get intermittent wipers with a temporary switch. The only wires you need to work with are the red/yellow for high speed and brown/white for low speed.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
The Norwegian
Amateur

Wow, thank you for your quick response and good answers. You are, of course, quite right. I have a diesel engine :-)

Now I wonder what the AC has to do with the viper.....;-)

Have a nice day!

regards

The N.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
SEAL
Champion

As I was typing that last information I was wondering the same thing but could not think of anything. If you figure that out let me know.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 PM
The Norwegian
Amateur

But of course :-)

Thanks again.

The N.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:40 AM
The Norwegian
Amateur

I'm picking up this thread. I still have an unoriginal switch, and it works quite fine. But, due to new government rules regarding road approval, I have to fix the auto park system. How do I do this, just making sure that the dark green and the dark blue has power? If so i recon that the power circuit cuts itself off when the blades are "parked". Correct me if I'm wrong, and please comment.

Regards

The N.

Quick Reply: Wiring diagram viper engine W250 1989