1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1993 ram 2wd 250 problem. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 PM
bc dude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 ram 2wd 250 problem. Opinions?

Ok. I have a 1993 ram 250 gas engine, 318 and am stumped. She broke down on me coming home from work a couple of months ago and I can't seem to solve the puzzle. She lopes, hesitates and surges, and then stalls. Climbing a hill at 3km/hr isn't fun. The fuel mixture smells rich to me coming out of the tailpipe. As soon as it broke down, trying to get er going she was pissing moisture out the tailpipe and all the plugs are fouling. What I've done...

replaced...
head gaskets
plenum pan gasket
throttle body gasket
fuel pressure regulator
map sensor
egr valve

Do you think it might be fuel pump, or stuck injectors? Anybody else have this problem?

BTW, the red oil pressure light is on continously.

Last edited by bc dude; 01-23-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the oil light might be coming on because the oil level might be a bit low.could be a bad oxygen sensor. you could try unplugging it. if it runs better you may have found your problem.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried pulling the codes from the computer? Is it TBI or MPFI?
Priorities!! The first thing you should do is check the actual oil pressure. You can get a gauge and the fittings at the hardware store for about $10.00. Pull the sending unit and install the gauge. There is no use fixing anything else if the oil pressure is too low.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 AM
bc dude
Default got it

I cut the muffler side of the pipe leading to the cat and peered in. Everything was deteriorated and there was no way any air was flowing through that mess. I hammered out all the meat and potatoes causing the problem, and resealed with muffler tape at the cut, followed bt a soup can coated with tons of grey gasket maker. Clamped it up and she now performs better than she ever did, with tires chirping when I feather the gas.

I'll get a new cat when I can afford one, but for now loving the new tone out of the muffler and the loads of increased performance.

I just find it bizarre that the blockage caused that much back pressure that it blew all my major top end gaskets. Oh well, live and learn, and now she performs like a new truck which is pretty good for a 93.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 AM
SEAL
Champion

I am glad you found the problem. Let me get this straight in my mind. A blocked cat was causing low oil pressure? That makes no physical sense but if the oil pressure is OK now you can't fight the facts. I just want to make sure I am really learning what I think I am learning here.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 AM
bc dude
Default oil pressure

Not sure if it was low or high, just that the check oil indicator light was on.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 AM
SEAL
Champion

I guess my question is: Is it still on?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 PM
bc dude

Nope.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM
BIGRED5.7l

the same thing happened on mine. cat broke into peice and clogged up everything. i would still check out your O2 sensor cuz it probably got damaged and needs to be replaced and you probably already know this but change the oil its most likely filled with gas.

Quick Reply: 1993 ram 2wd 250 problem. Opinions?