1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My detailed "HOW-TO" Smog Pump Removal Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 PM
jahblah90
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb My detailed "HOW-TO" Smog Pump Removal Project

This is done on my 1985 Dodge Ram d150 carbed 318...now...

Start with locating the smog pump..

And the hoses/metal hoses that connect to the exhaust manifolds..

I went ahead and disconnected the rubber hoses the branched off the "goose neck" of the smog pump..

Know what tools you need..a couple bolts were 10mm (or maybe 12mm..dont remember) but the rest were 15mm. Got the Dog Bone wrench from Sears. Comes in handy LOTS..

Next, i removed the "goose neck" to go ahead and get it out of the way..

Then, i removed the tension bolt (keep it on standby, you'll need to stick it back threw to hold the pulley when removing the other bolts)..

Now, the belts ready to come off..

This has to come out but the wheel is in the way so, unless you can reach it, come back to this..

Now, you have to remove the pulley wheel...now that ive thought about it, i could have waited to remove the belt until after i loosened the bolts holding the pulley..OH WELL..pliers held wonderfully..

Now that the wheel is gone, you can get that pesky bolt out..

ANNNND BAM!!! SMOG PUMP DELETED!!!!!

From here, its personal preference..i removed the empty bracket and put washers to fill the gap of the missing pulley bracket so that the bolt is still tightly pulling the water pump..dont want any leaks..ALSO as far as the metal hoses that lead to the exhaust manifolds..you can plug them OR cut, bend, etc..i pinched and bent mine backwards until..

NEXT UP..A/C DELETING!!!!!

Hope this helped you all...

The following users liked this post:
dodgerambob (05-22-2022)
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 AM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the remaining items, the Charcoal Canisters, EGR, EGR Delay Valve, CCEGR Valve, Vacuum Solenoid, Vacuum Amplifier, and the items on the air cleaner?

From my '82:

swbaker1960 (02-28-2022)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He didn't claim for this to be a removal of the emissions system. It is just removal of the pump. He did a pretty good job of that. I agree that it would be a good thing, for a lot of people, to see a complete emissions removal done like this. If someone doesn't beat me to it I will do one as soon as the law allows. My truck needs to be 25 years old to do it here in Virginia.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
jahblah90
Rookie

Pumbu, a couple of those things arent hooked up on my truck. somebody may have disconnected it (or had it disconnected (owner was a lady)) in previous ownership. but i know i still have the ERG and things. right now im looking at an intake manifold that doesnt have an ERG so i guess that would be a deleting on its own lol but i still will document it though. I will in fact post the deleting of the remaining emissions that i have for you guys and everyone.
SEAL, what year truck do you have? i didnt think VA had any emission laws. i know NC doesnt. Both you guys live in VA, wow. my older brother stays in Falls Church, VA

Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
pumbu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jahblah90,

Vehicles in Virginia that are 25 or more years old do not require an emissions inspection. Since I do not drive my 1982 D350 very much, or do long distance hauling, I plan on minimizing the emissions gear under the hood in the near future. But first, I would like to get all the little things fixed first, too include replacing the speedo gear, and then determine the m.p.g.'s to see if the removal was worth the effort.

Do you know how much you will have to adjust the timing after removing the EGR? Research indicates that this will cause pinging. I have been thinking of purchasing a Edelbrock non-EGR manifold and swapping out mine.

Last edited by pumbu; 01-31-2012 at 11:21 AM.
swbaker1960 (02-28-2022)
Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
SEAL
Champion

jahblah90; Mine is an 89. You might want to recheck the N.C. emissions inspection laws. They don't apply to yours but they are there.

Lets hear it for the common sense of N.C. DOT. Are there any vehicles over 35 years old that aren't model years 1995 and older?
This is from their website:
"Exemptions, the following vehicle types do not need an OBD Emissions Inspection:
Vehicles 35 years old, or older
Model 1995 vehicles, or older
Diesel-operated vehicles
Vehicles licensed under the farmer rate"

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/reg...on/inspection/

Last edited by SEAL; 01-31-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 PM
sls001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAL
jahblah90; Mine is an 89. You might want to recheck the N.C. emissions inspection laws. They don't apply to yours but they are there.

Lets hear it for the common sense of N.C. DOT. Are there any vehicles over 35 years old that aren't model years 1995 and older?
This is from their website:
"Exemptions, the following vehicle types do not need an OBD Emissions Inspection:
Vehicles 35 years old, or older
Model 1995 vehicles, or older
Diesel-operated vehicles
Vehicles licensed under the farmer rate"

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/reg...on/inspection/
Seal is correct..in a quick look at the NC Vehicle Safety and Emissions Inspection Manual unless your vehicle is 35 years old you need to have all of the items your removing...these are checked during routine Safety inspections:

See sections:
19A NCAC 03D .0542 EMISSIONS CONTROL DEVICE - if equipped with from factory MUST have

Pursuant to G.S. 20-183.8A(2), a civil penalty shall be assessed against individuals who instruct or allow a person to remove, disconnect, tamper with, or render inoperable any emissions control device equipped by the manufacturer of any motor
vehicle as described in G.S. 20-183.3. These devices include:
(1) Catalytic converter,
(2) Unleaded gas restrictor,
(3) Air pump system,
(4) EGR valve,
(5) PCV valve,
(6) Thermostatic air cleaner,
(7) Evaporative emission system,
(8) Oxygen sensor.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:15 PM
SEAL
Champion

Just wait until the government starts limiting the amount of CO2 we are allowed to exhale.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAL
Just wait until the government starts limiting the amount of CO2 we are allowed to exhale.
Don't forget the gas from the other end!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
jahblah90
Rookie

lol you guys..the government is our friend. why else would they raise gas prices and sales taxes?

i've deleted all those off my firebird but #4 and #5. cause i had read that EGR deletion causes pinging or detonation as well..after reading about that, i left it in my firebird. the day after i decided to leave it alone, i got code 32 (EGR failure) so im thinking about just kicking the EGR and getting it deleted out of the computer so it wont have any chance of ping or whatever.

charlie1935, what are the laws in your neck of the woods?

Quick Reply: My detailed "HOW-TO" Smog Pump Removal Project