1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

75 W100 T-Case

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM
chozobody
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 75 W100 T-Case

Ok, I'm gonna keep the long story short. Converted my 75 Power Wagon to an electric fuel pump. Got it running, but the motor is out of an 86 ramcharger (318). The truck starts up, and runs and idles without any problems. When I shift into Drive, the front drive shaft will spin, but no matter how much gas I give it, the rear will not move, and the truck will not move whatsoever. This happens regardless if i'm in high or low loc. Is there something notorious about this transfer case, or am I looking at just replacing it with another.

I'm trying to get it ready to sell, and a buyer believed a new transfer case would run him $1200 bucks. I saw a few at the local pull yard for 200 or less. Would that be a reasonable option?

Thanks,

Josh

Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Mr.Clean27320
Rookie

Does the motor act like you are putting a load on it like you are holding the brakes and giving it gas? You say the front drive will spin, does the front tires turn? Is your truck all time 4WD? Jack the rear up and remove the rear drive shaft. Then check to see if the rear tires will turn freely. I have seen a lot of trucks that the rear brakes lock up on them and then the trucks want move.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

70's were full time 4WD and I think 80's had locking hubs if I'm not mistaken.
You didn't convert t-cases over to the 80's t-case did you? If you did, your front end and t-case would likely be incompatible.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM
chozobody

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
70's were full time 4WD and I think 80's had locking hubs if I'm not mistaken.
You didn't convert t-cases over to the 80's t-case did you? If you did, your front end and t-case would likely be incompatible.
I'm not positive on which T-case was put in, since I acquired the truck 2nd hand. I do know that the truck was converted from manual to automatic at some point.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 AM
chozobody

Originally Posted by Mr.Clean27320
Does the motor act like you are putting a load on it like you are holding the brakes and giving it gas? You say the front drive will spin, does the front tires turn? Is your truck all time 4WD? Jack the rear up and remove the rear drive shaft. Then check to see if the rear tires will turn freely. I have seen a lot of trucks that the rear brakes lock up on them and then the trucks want move.
I know for a fact that the E-Brake does not work. I'll try to jack it up this weekend and spin it around. The engine does not feel like theres a load on it at all. The front drive shaft will spin even on idle.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sound to me like something in the front axle is broken and something in the tcase must be also broken if the rear axle is not spinning

Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by chozobody
I'm not positive on which T-case was put in, since I acquired the truck 2nd hand. I do know that the truck was converted from manual to automatic at some point.
Well that's a bummer.
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
sound to me like something in the front axle is broken and something in the tcase must be also broken if the rear axle is not spinning
T-cases just don't break without you knowing it....granted, neither do axles.

But the t-case is more likely me thinks....

Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

but he never said he has actually driven it. from the sounds of it he got it and it was not running. if this was the case then anything is possible. i know i have heard of guys on other forums snapping teeth off ring gears without thinking too much about it until enough broke of for the truck to stop moving.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 04-29-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I suppose that since the front output of the t-case was the only output that is moving, it would be an issue with the t-case since I don't think that it's an Atlas II.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Mr.Clean27320
Rookie

All 70's were not full time full 4WD. If you have a devorced transfercase they are 2WD-4WD. I like them the best but, they are hard to come by. They do not use a chain they use gears. The down side with them is that they do not have as much of a gear reduction for low. My 72 has one in it. I think that 74 was the last year for them but, not sure, dont remember.
Now, if you put your truck in gear and the front shaft truns, does it speed up with giving it gas? Do you have lock-out hubs on the front? If so ingage them and see if the truck tries to go anywhere. I take it that the rear drive shaft does not turn. Have you tried to move the truck by pulling it? See if it will move while in park. If it moves and does not slide the tires you have a problem with your trans case as long as you are sure that your linkage to it is right and tight and not slipping when you are changing from 4wd high, 4wd high loc, N, 4wd low loc. With front shift turning and rear not turning, sounds like trans case for sure to me, also if you dont have lock out hubs front tires should be turning.

Quick Reply: 75 W100 T-Case