1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

81 w150 power ram "The Duke"

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Turner661
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea that also how i imagined it aswell

THE DUKE

Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo.
Just make sure you sand everything well and prep it properly. There was a guy here in the 1st gen section that used a roll on rustoleum paint job.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Turner661
Professional

UPDATE on the duke.

went by the shop and they had the motor out of the truck and they are taking the motor out of a 71or2 Chrysler Newport guy was going to restore it he just rebuilt the motor but body work was to bad so he gave up.

and what they are doing is going to power wash the engine to get the grim off and clean it to look like a brand spankin new motor and mixing the best of the parts together to one motor and getting new spark plugs and fixing all the seals were it leaked from .

so im pretty stoked i was doing some reasearch trying to see what the stock hp/tq was with the newport . and it said it was a 4barrel and im pretty sure 4 barrels were the ones with more power if im thinking straight can anyone help me find more detail on this. also i read that the single exhaust version had 190hp but the dual exhaust version had 240hp ? that was on wiki i think but i dont trust wikipedia.

thanks should have truck back next week so stoked

Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Mr.Clean27320
Rookie

You had talked about changing the cam. Just for referance the stock cam in most 400's is duration intake and exhaust is 260 degrees. The valve lift intake and exhaust is .360" lift.
And for the 318 people. Duartion intake 240 degrees and exhaust 248 degrees. The valve lift is intake .373" lift and exhaust .400" lift.
Hope this helps some one out. If you would like the factory 440 or 360 just let me know.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by Turner661
UPDATE on the duke.

went by the shop and they had the motor out of the truck and they are taking the motor out of a 71or2 Chrysler Newport guy was going to restore it he just rebuilt the motor but body work was to bad so he gave up.

and what they are doing is going to power wash the engine to get the grim off and clean it to look like a brand spankin new motor and mixing the best of the parts together to one motor and getting new spark plugs and fixing all the seals were it leaked from .

so im pretty stoked i was doing some reasearch trying to see what the stock hp/tq was with the newport . and it said it was a 4barrel and im pretty sure 4 barrels were the ones with more power if im thinking straight can anyone help me find more detail on this. also i read that the single exhaust version had 190hp but the dual exhaust version had 240hp ? that was on wiki i think but i dont trust wikipedia.

Well either way it'll FEEL fast because of the torque, not the horsepower. The old 70s motors weren't slouches compared to the small blocks, they were compared to the earlier big blocks but it should feel and be kinda fast....faster than if it had a 318 for sure.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:51 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Turner661
UPDATE on the duke.

Early block should be good. Ought to have a smidge higher compression. 4 barrel will have more power and exhaust doesn't really matter as I would imagine Mother Mopar just tuned the carb for the dual exhaust to make it something special.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Early block should be good. Ought to have a smidge higher compression. 4 barrel will have more power and exhaust doesn't really matter as I would imagine Mother Mopar just tuned the carb for the dual exhaust to make it something special.
The 78 400 would have had open chamber heads, lower compression pistons, and a way milder cam. IF the other motor is 67 or earlier, it MIGHT but will probably have closed chamber heads, and higher compression pistons resulting in more HP and potentially a LOT more HP. I think average compression for the closed chamber motors was at least 10.5:1 and higher depending on what motor it was. And on the 78 400 I am willing to bet it was no higher than 8:1. Plus the cam makes a HUGE difference. I re-read his comments, the 71+ motors were low compression. Out of the big Newport it MIGHT have 250HP or so but that is it.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Sniper X
The 78 400 would have had open chamber heads, lower compression pistons, and a way milder cam. IF the other motor is 67 or earlier, it MIGHT but will probably have closed chamber heads, and higher compression pistons resulting in more HP and potentially a LOT more HP. I think average compression for the closed chamber motors was at least 10.5:1 and higher depending on what motor it was. And on the 78 400 I am willing to bet it was no higher than 8:1. Plus the cam makes a HUGE difference. I re-read his comments, the 71+ motors were low compression. Out of the big Newport it MIGHT have 250HP or so but that is it.
It's still got more torque than a Dak and likely most newer pickups.

I can peel soo well with my 76 it's unreal.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Turner661
Professional

thats good i just want tq.. thats all you ever need in a truck im so stoked cause specially that its getting freshly rebuilt my other one def felt like it needed a rebuild so i friggin lucked out haha

Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Before you replace your tires, do a nice one wheel peel for us.

Quick Reply: 81 w150 power ram "The Duke"