1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

" $50.00 " paint jobsO

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 PM
tooltime
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default " $50.00 " paint jobsO

I am wanting to paint my truck,paint is bad. I know people use Rustoleum paint for this. I was in TSC na dlooked at tractor paint by Majic. It is a oil base enamel for tractor,truck and implement. Has any of you guys used these or know someone who has? What would you do? Thanks

Old 06-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your usage of the truck, and if you ever plan on painting it again. I have seen some astounding paint jobs using that stuff, but it requires a lot of wet sanding, recoat, wet sand, and repeat. Also, if you ever plan to have it repainted, it will have to go to bare metal, as auto paints wont stick to oil based. If its an old farm truck, that you never plan on restoring, maybe. Otherwise, IMO, I would save up a couple hundred bucks and get real automotive paint.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Mopar Trucks
Rookie

A real automotive paint job will be far more than a couple hundred bucks. I have an 86 D-150 that got Schiebed before I bought it and I have seen many more Rustoleum quickie jobs that look a lot better than mine. I am doing a Rustoleum roller job on my 1990 and just starting the prep but like Scooter said it will be mostly a farm truck so thats all I am looking for.

I used the Majic paint on a couple of farm implements and it wasnt too bad but I think I would stick to Rustoleum.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

you guys really need to check into the duplicolor paint shoppe stuff.... it's a laquer system with a basecoat and a clearcoat, you spray it with an autobody type paint gun, I did my truck in the garage in a weekend, i didnt have time to get picky so i just sanded it with 600 and let the paint fly... cost me 30 bucks a litre canadian, i used 3 litres of orange 2 litres of grey and like 3 or 4 cans of clear

Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Cmckinney99
Professional

Beakerztoyz that's a beautiful truck

Old 06-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by Mopar Trucks
A real automotive paint job will be far more than a couple hundred bucks..

Doing labor yourself, as I assume he is, using a single stage, this could easily be done for a couple hundred bucks. Being as we are talking about "$50" paint jobs, I'm guessing he isn't going to want to pay for a 2 stage base/clear. A single stage is just fine for what he has in mind. I have done it several times. It can and has been done.

Last edited by Scooter78; 06-10-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by beakerztoyz
Love your truck! Looks great! That is a paint scheme I wouldn't have even thought about, but looking at yours makes me want it. Well done!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 PM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Thanks guys, she's not show car pretty but I think she looks real good from 5 ft and I was hopin for the looks good at 20 ft and 20 mph paint job cause she's my daily driver work truck and i didnt have time to get picky so I'm happy. it was red with a grey stripe from the factory.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Mopar Trucks
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scooter78
Doing labor yourself, as I assume he is, using a single stage, this could easily be done for a couple hundred bucks. Being as we are talking about "$50" paint jobs, I'm guessing he isn't going to want to pay for a 2 stage base/clear. A single stage is just fine for what he has in mind. I have done it several times. It can and has been done.
Yea I guess I was thinking you were talking about having it done rather than DYI. Beakers truck really looks nice too and I dont know what that color is but I saw a similar one not too long ago that had an orangy copper top and brown bottom two tone and it is a nice color combination.

Personally, I like the look of the old school enamels without the super shiny clear coat and it just looks better to me on these older trucks.

Quick Reply: " $50.00 " paint jobsO