1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifting 1987 Ramcharger Correctly

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
dennisonwj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting 1987 Ramcharger Correctly

I am finally getting around to replacing the front leaf spring on my '87 RC. What is the best method for lifting the entire front end off the ground so I can replace the springs in tandem? After I have lifted it I am going to use 12K pound jack stands and railroad ties that are cut to 2 foot lengths and stacked behind the jack stands for insurance. I will have to do a lot of cranking on the vehicle to get this done. I am thinking of leaving the tires attached to the truck, but if I need clearance, they will have to come off.

Someone in the past had mentioned lifting the entire front end by the engine cross member. Seemed like a good idea, but I noticed that my cross member is actually above the horizontal shocks and I would have to go through them with the jack to get there. Is it safe to lift the front end by the short cross member behind the bumper. It is riveted on looks like.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:05 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

I always do one side at a time, and put it on the jack stands, could get a bit tippy trying to do all at once, but that's just me, I had a friend killed because a jackstand fell so I always err on the safer side (if I am doing heavy duty work I use 2 sets of jackstands)

Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not that difficult to do.
If your having issues figuring out how to jack up your truck are you really sure you want to swap the spring packs?
I mean really.
Jacking up a truck is not a big deal. Blocking it so it doesn't fall on you is not rocket science. Swapping springs is easier with the tires off.
Maybe this is best left to someone a bit more capable to do.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 PM
dennisonwj

Originally Posted by RDuck
This is not that difficult to do.
If your having issues figuring out how to jack up your truck are you really sure you want to swap the spring packs?
I mean really.
Jacking up a truck is not a big deal. Blocking it so it doesn't fall on you is not rocket science. Swapping springs is easier with the tires off.
Maybe this is best left to someone a bit more capable to do.
Actually, what I was trying to ask the forum is "if I can put a jack stand under the front axle to the right of the differential to lift it". I want to make sure the axle will not bend. Also, I am attempting to see any pitfalls that this vehicle may have because of balance issues. Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM
RDuck
Captain

You will not bend the diff. I broke mine but only after jumping it about ten feet up and landing on the tires and front bumper at the same time. But I broke more than just the diff on my Ramcharger many times over.
Jack it up using the diff. Block the frame. Take off a wheel. Lower diff till no pressure on the spring. Remove spring. Install new. Nice with two jacks and do both sides at once.
Your compensating for the lift in the steering right?
4" lift and you'll mess up your steering bad.
Must be corrected at the same time.
What about your driveshafts?
Stock won't do.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:06 PM
dennisonwj

You will not bend the diff. I broke mine but only after jumping it about ten feet up and landing on the tires and front bumper at the same time. But I broke more than just the diff on my Ramcharger many times over.
Jack it up using the diff. Block the frame. Take off a wheel. Lower diff till no pressure on the spring. Remove spring. Install new. Nice with two jacks and do both sides at once.
Your compensating for the lift in the steering right?
4" lift and you'll mess up your steering bad.
Must be corrected at the same time.
What about your driveshafts?
Stock won't do.
Thank you very much, the "lift by the axle" was the most important concern I had. I AM not installing a lift on the vehicle, the front leaf springs are shot because the vehicle is a low mileage snow plow truck. I have removed the snow plow and got a set of 6-leaf replacement springs to replace the 3-leaf springs. Until I get the old leaf springs off, I will not know if the vehicle was lifted a few inches prior. If it has been lifted, I will have to buy another set of springs that match what is there. The truck as 33" tires on it now.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 AM
RDuck
Captain

You will have to address the rear.
Front sagged. New springs will give you a nose up.
But, you could cheap out and block the rear. You may not have a block now.
As a suggestion, dont go over a 4" block. NEVER stack blocks.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM
dennisonwj

You will have to address the rear.
Front sagged. New springs will give you a nose up.
But, you could cheap out and block the rear. You may not have a block now.
As a suggestion, dont go over a 4" block. NEVER stack blocks.
Already have 3.5 inch of block under leave spring in the rear. A friend of mine told me for many RCs this configuration was stock. I am just trying to repair the front end springs but upgrading them to 6 leaf instead of 3 leaf. I am hoping to get relatively a stock ride height. It seems the 33s are perfect for where it is. Also, when I looked at the 1987 schematic of the rear, it showed the 3.5 inch blocks as standard. I attached a picture of my configuration. Thanks for all your help.

Attached Thumbnails Lifting 1987 Ramcharger Correctly-rear_rc.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lifting 1987 Ramcharger Correctly