1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiper motor wiring and voltage

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 05:30 PM
SweB250
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper motor wiring and voltage

Hey guys,
My wiper motor collapsed some time ago. Just ordered a used one but the connector did nog really fit, so i made my own temporary "adapter" just for testing. Still don't work. (Yes, all fuses are ok).
First question since i have not had it so long: how do i know what position i have it in? If i turn the wiper wheel back (clockwise if you stand on the driver side and look at it) it should be off? Yes i should be able to measurize this but it's good to know what to expect when i get my volt meter tomorow.
Second question: what voltage should i expect on the connectors in the pic attached? Which one does/is what?
Thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 AM
dmitriyk

Mine is busted too, and I'm working off of memory, so take this with a grain of salt.

1) "Back" on the **** should be counter-clockwise, no? If that's what you mean, I believe that's correct.
2) 12V should be coming in at one of the two middle pins. I forget which one. The two outer pins provide ground for the two wiper speeds. I can double check this when I get home.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:52 AM
SweB250

Hey, thanks for answer!

1) well, if you stand by the seat and look at the controller wheel, "back" for me is clock wise, since that would be the rotation of the wheels going backwards. But you mean that full turn forwards (with my eyes) should be off?

2) In that case i think i have a problem, I only got voltage on one of the middle pins. I would really really appreciate if you could check on yours. It would also be really nice if you told me on what positison on that controller wheel i should expect voltages on which pins, so i don't have it in the wrong position looking for voltage

Old 09-15-2016, 12:02 PM
dmitriyk

1) Yes, I believe this is how it's supposed to work.

2) One of the middle pins should always be energized, so that's fine. You can test the two outside pins by measuring voltage between the pin and the positive battery terminal; when the pin is "activated" by the switch, you should see voltage. Unfortunately I can't tell you which pin corresponds to which wiper switch setting, since that part of my switch is broken.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:45 PM
SweB250

1) Darn, now i don't remember the way i turned it, but in one position (max or off?) the next position is some kind of dimming, then there's a click and then another click. The next last click in that sequence made the motor turn for some seconds but then it stopped. In any other position it was dead.
If i put it in that last position in sequence, waited some seconds and then turned it to the next last position mentioned, it could some times turn for some secs but then die again.

2). In the almost functional position I had 12V on all pins except the green one (second from the left). In the last click in the sequence above i had 12V on blue and brown (3 & 4 from left).
In every other position it was just the blue one (third) that had 12V. Green was always "dead".

Edit: I should mention that i measured with ground and the pins. You wrote i should test between outer pins and positive...? You mean just for test? I do not have a beeping function on my voltmeter (can't find the one which has) but i should be ale to find the ground pins with that.

So, there seems to be something other electronic as well. Any ideas?

Besides, i'm not really sure that this motor is a 100% fit since the connector does not fit. It there some differences in year models on how these pins should be positioned?

Last edited by SweB250; 09-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:28 PM
dmitriyk

First of all, the "beeping function" you're talking about is probably a continuity test. Do not use that; use the voltage measuring mode. Alternatively, you can get a $3 test lamp: clip one end to something, and touch something else with the probe. If there's 12V flowing between the two points, a little light goes off. Great for testing for voltage, but a multimeter is generally more useful.

Otherwise, I had a great big response written up, but on further consideration I should actually get my own **** fixed first. It's what I'm working on currently, so hopefully I'll get it fixed soon. I'll be sure to let you know what I find out.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:45 PM
SweB250

I found this post, https://www.2carpros.com/questions/d...h-3-way-toggle but i don't really understand it.
Since i never got voltage on the green one (second from left, which should be powered?) i suspect this is some kind of ground? The two middle ones (P1 and P2 in the link above) feels like high/low..? Butboth of the outer ones should be ground, i understood it? As i said, i had 3 cables with voltage. Maybe there's a shorty somewhere?

If i should try to hot wire it directly from the battery, how should i do that?

I'm tempted to just try switching, i have replaced the plastic connector with ordinary contacts (i suspected that the contact itself was'nt really good) so there's no trouble trying another setup. But this setup SHOULD be correct..? Meanwhile, the guy that had the car before me has done so much specials in the electronics so i'm not surprised if he's done anything here as well. Since the connector does not fit, maybe the old one is from another year model and therefore he has switched some of the pins...?

EDIT: Just realized that L/H in the diagram on the link above maybe is low/high? So, what's P1 and P2 then...?
EDIT2: And now i found a great video of how high/low and the parking stuff works. So P1 and P2 should be the parking stuff.
Also tried an extra ground wire to one of the bolts (where a ground wire is attached on the motor) to the minus pole on the battery but with no luck.
In the position as i think would be low it works for a little time (2-3 turns with the wipers) and then suddely stops at any position. It's not the mechanic that's too heavy/rusty since i tried it without this attached first and with the same result.

Last edited by SweB250; 09-15-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:15 PM
SweB250

Ok. Now i've learned how a wiper motor works. I tried to hotwire it and connected a plus wire directly to low speed (nothing else wired up) and i runs for some seconds, sounds a litte weaker and sudden stops. If i wait a while i can reproduce this behavor.
On high speed nothing happens.
So, my conclusion is that the wiper motor is faulty. But still quite strange it runs for some seconds and stops, a electric motor feel like it should work or just not.

Any way, with my new knowledge i started to measure the expected voltage. Blue (a middle one) always has 12v. Brown (low speed) has 12v when it's in position. The other two are always dead on 0v. This means that the high speed control will never work any way.
Any tips for where to start lookig for problems? I've shaked some in the wide connection under the dashboard (right to the steering wheel) but it gave nothing.
If someone don't have a good tip here i'll just buy a 2 way switch and wire this up manually. And also buy another wiper motor... *sigh*

Last edited by SweB250; 09-17-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:47 AM
SweB250

It's like the motor just turns a few rotations and stops. Then i have to wait. Both hogh and low "works" but i have to wait like a minute between every test. On high speed it stops faster.
Since it's a used one i cant return i opened it up and tried to clean evertything i could find. Anything to look for here?

Quick Reply: Wiper motor wiring and voltage