1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Elizabeth Page
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual transmissions

I am rebuilding a d150 with a 318 and I've been told I should put a NV4500 in it. It currently has an automatic.
Of those of you that have done this swap, what extras do I need (besides clutch assembly and pedal)? Will my current bell housing work? Or if I buy this set up--> https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/5919875739.html
will that work?
Or do I need to find something else?
Will any Dodge NV4500 work in this truck?
Anything else I need?
Am I crazy? Lol

Is there a different 5 speed manual transmission you would rather use?
Purpose of this truck: daily driver that I can take to the track every now and then and not look dumb, but dont need to be the fastest truck there. About 350-400 horses and 6000-8000 pound towing capacity.
I think it has a 355 rear end under it, what do you think of that or should I put something different under it?

Thanks!

Old 02-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Noelie84
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Page
I am rebuilding a d150 with a 318 and I've been told I should put a NV4500 in it. It currently has an automatic.
Of those of you that have done this swap, what extras do I need (besides clutch assembly and pedal)? Will my current bell housing work? Or if I buy this set up--> https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/5919875739.html
will that work?
Or do I need to find something else?
Will any Dodge NV4500 work in this truck?
Anything else I need?
Am I crazy? Lol

Is there a different 5 speed manual transmission you would rather use?
Purpose of this truck: daily driver that I can take to the track every now and then and not look dumb, but dont need to be the fastest truck there. About 350-400 horses and 6000-8000 pound towing capacity.
I think it has a 355 rear end under it, what do you think of that or should I put something different under it?

Thanks!
What year is your D150, Elizabeth?

At the very least, you'd need a new bellhousing (hydraulic), clutch pedal & linkage, master cylinder, lines, slave cylinder, a flywheel, a new clutch kit to put in front of the transmission, and possibly a new driveshaft and transmission crossmember. And you'll have to cut a hole in your floor for the shifter. For cosmetic reasons you can swap the steering column & facade for one from a manual transmission, and same goes for the instrument panel, but it's not necessary for your truck to function correctly. I'm sure if there's more then others will chime in, lol.

Plus, before you buy an NV4500 you'll need to be certain that it's for a Mopar and not a GM (since they made them for both), and if it is from a Mopar you'll need to check to make sure it was mated to a gas motor and not a diesel, since they had a different spline count.

Out of curiosity, what are you hoping to do with this truck? Because if I remember correctly the NV4500 had a granny 1st. If you're looking for a 'drag race truck' then the NV3500 might be a better choice. Still a true 5 speed, but a taller first gear.

Last edited by Noelie84; 02-09-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Elizabeth Page
Default Mild?

Hi, thanks for the input!
I just realized I never put a year on it... it's a 1983 all original, but it won't be for long. It's rough and needs a complete overhaul.
I am keeping the 318.
Thats what I was kinda thinking on the transmission that the first gear was lower than I need. I don't necessarily need a "drag truck" I just want a decent amount of horse power that I can still pull my bumper hitch horse trailer. I guess a "mild" street truck.
Thanks again

Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Elizabeth Page
Default Rear ends!!

Quick question... can I put a 355 rearend from a 2004 dodge 1500 under a 1983 d150?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Learning Dodge

I have a 92 d150 with the nv4500 and yes, 1st gear is a granny. I have yet to find a purpose for it other than teaching someone to drive standard. Heck, I can release the clutch slowly in 2nd and get going with no throttle. Almost impossible to kill the engine in 1st. I never use 1st even when towing moderate loads. If the load is so heavy that I need 1st, the brakes are going to have a hard time stopping it even gearing down ime.

I have been told by 2 different mechanics that my truck is rather unique in that it appears to be a factory order, not showroom. I was told that Dodge didn't make the d150 with a 318 and the 5 speed as a stock vehicle. They said I have ten "diesel" tranny with the gas engine. ? All accessories are power and have been giving me electrical nightmares.

​​​​​​​Overall, heck of a truck. Anyone have any insight into this?
​​​​

Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

Hi, thanks for the input!
I just realized I never put a year on it... it's a 1983 all original, but it won't be for long. It's rough and needs a complete overhaul.
I am keeping the 318.
Thats what I was kinda thinking on the transmission that the first gear was lower than I need. I don't necessarily need a "drag truck" I just want a decent amount of horse power that I can still pull my bumper hitch horse trailer. I guess a "mild" street truck.
Thanks again
If it's all original you're definitely not getting 350-400HP out of a 318, lol. I think they made around 150 horses that year, and probably a few have escaped since then. Unless the motor's been built?
Do you have your heart set on a manual transmission? Because a properly built 904 will handle a 318 pretty easily, and a non-OD 727 auto will more than stand up to the power of a 318 (even a built one), and it would be a lot easier to install than swapping everything over to a standard transmission.

Quick question... can I put a 355 rearend from a 2004 dodge 1500 under a 1983 d150?
I believe that it should fit; if I remember correctly they're both a 9.25 axle, but starting in ?2003? they were made by AAM instead of Dana Corp. But I'm 90% sure that the spring perches and shock mounts are in the same spots.

Originally Posted by Learning Dodge
I have a 92 d150 with the nv4500 and yes, 1st gear is a granny. I have yet to find a purpose for it other than teaching someone to drive standard. Heck, I can release the clutch slowly in 2nd and get going with no throttle. Almost impossible to kill the engine in 1st. I never use 1st even when towing moderate loads. If the load is so heavy that I need 1st, the brakes are going to have a hard time stopping it even gearing down ime.

I have been told by 2 different mechanics that my truck is rather unique in that it appears to be a factory order, not showroom. I was told that Dodge didn't make the d150 with a 318 and the 5 speed as a stock vehicle. They said I have ten "diesel" tranny with the gas engine. ? All accessories are power and have been giving me electrical nightmares.

​​​​​​​Overall, heck of a truck. Anyone have any insight into this?
​​​​
I think that what they mean is that the NV4500 was typically installed behind the Diesel and not behind a gas motor. The transmission made for the Cummins had a 29 spline input shaft and cannot physically be installed behind a gas engine because they have 23 splines. The NV4500's that were made for the gas engines obviously had the corresponding 23 spline input shaft.

Last edited by Noelie84; 02-10-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Elizabeth Page

Lol
No no no! Of course no horsepower right now (literally 0, it's been sitting since 1994). I am going to build it. I think I read somewhere it had 220 at one point. Not sure if that's to ground or not, but nevertheless, it will have horsepower when we're done.
I am kinda worried about the torque though with the nv3500. How much torque does that motor put out when it's been built up a little? Flat top pistons, bored .30 or .40 over and a decent cam, not big.
Apparently that tranny can only handle 300 ft lbs.

The following users liked this post:
Ronald Reed (05-31-2023)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:05 AM
Noelie84
Rookie

Yeah, if you're building a motor then the NV3500 probably won't be enough, unless you get one that has also been built.
If you don't have your heart set on a 5 speed, you could put an A833 4 speed behind it. They'd definitely be able to stand up to a built 318. Or, go with the NV4500 and skip 1st.