2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

BAD LUCK(sucks)-story inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 PM
ram_rod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD LUCK(sucks)-story inside

***READ THIS***

Okay, I was on here a couple of weeks ago askin you guys what you think of a white dakota that I was going to buy. It was a 1999 with 102000 miles on it. I really liked the truck so italked to the seller, did a carfax report, and it was fine.Well, I called the guy, told him i was coming, got a cashiers check with the final price on it,I was so excited to get this truck that I drove 5 hours to pick it up, took the truck fora test drive and everything seemed fine. Checked all the fluids and everything. Me and my mom were the ones who drove down there, so we bought the truck thinking everything was fine.Beingthesmall town trust peopleweare (not any more),we buy the truck as-is(no warranty).

We were in a scenic town, so we drove around, shopped, went out to eat, all in my moms vehicle. So then we got ready to leave, and went and picked the truck up from the place where we bought it, filled the tank and we were off.I got 37 miles out of town, and all of a sudden the check gauges light flashes and the truck just shuts off(worst feeling ive had in a long time) and the truck starts steaming. So i get out , my mom was ahead of me so she saw me break down and turned around, and i go up and open the hood and antifreeze is boiling over bigtime, the truck is smoking.I was pissed,sad, and most of all unable to describe that feeling of buying a truck i have saved money for break down 37 miles into driving it .

We had our cell phones so we call my moms travel club, and they say they will send a tow-truck that will take 45 mins to get there.So, we break down, and right next to where we break down, there is an old run-down motel and antiques shop. All of a sudden a lady walks out and asks us to come inside, so we do, and she says look around. She was a nice, but very pushy lady, who was just creating more stress with her negative attitude towards alot of things.We have been waiting an hour, and we get a call from our travel club, they say that the wrecker is at a car accident right now and should be able to make it in an hour. So the old lady insists we stay inside for an hour with her so we do. Finally, the tow-truck comes, and hauls the truck back to town. Reminder, it was a saturday night this happened on, we had no clothes, or any overnight supplies or money. We ask the tow driver what place would be open and he takes it to firestone. so we go to wal-mart, buy supplies for staying over night, go to a motel, and we are told the only room they had was 100$ a night because it was opening of fishing. So we get the room,stay the night,get up early togo to firestone and talk to the people there, they run tests on it, and figure out that the engine seized up (soooo pissed and sad). So we try calling the guy we bought it from, cant get ahold of him for hours, anddrive to his business/home (not there). We were ready to leave town, and all of a sudden we get a call, it was the seller, we explain what happened, and he doesnt know how it happened because he said he did an inspection before he sold the truck. But we tell him if we get our money back, he can have the keys back, so he was being nice and agreed. He is sending the cashiers check back and sending our deposit back too.

Does anyone know what might have happened(no it wasnt the water- pump, and there was oil in it too)????

I have to say thank you for reading this, and thanks to the seller for being an honest salesperson.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BAD LUCK(sucks)-story inside

oil in the coolant -head gasket went, or the block cracked

Old 05-13-2007, 11:25 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

^+1

sorry bout the bad luck! but atleast he was cool about it!

Old 05-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah a lot of people are scum you got lucky there and I hope you learned a lesson on buying used. Bring a mechanic if you don't know what to look for.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:43 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would say that the thermostat went and it stuck closed causing everything to heat up. now a days the thermostats are fail safe so when they go they open up still allowing the coolent to flow.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, sounds like the thermostate went. always look at your guages

but sorry to hear the bad luck, your just lucky he gave your money back. but I would never buy a used truck sold as is. unless it was really cheap.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:21 AM
ram_rod

i am definetely getting a bumper to bumper warranty when i find another truck, also gonna take it to a good shop and have them inspect it for sure, thanks guys , def. getting a dakota though, i loved all 37 miles with it

Old 05-14-2007, 02:36 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just wondering.. how much did tyou pay for it and what type of dakota? R/T? SLT? V6? V8?

did your temp gauge go up while it was happening?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:21 AM
horatio102
Champion

The 5.2/5.9 heads have been known to crack, which could also cause the oil/coolant to mix. If you get coolant in your oilpan, it can do potentially bad things to brearings and whatnot. Sucks for that guy though, thought he had his truck sold, now he's gotta sink a couple grand into a new motor or just sell it dirt cheap. You could get an estimate on replacing the motor and call the guy up offering him the difference, if you liked that truck.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 AM
f0x672
Champion

ORIGINAL: horatio102

call the guy up offering him the difference, if you liked that truck.
*sniff sniff*.... i smell... cummins turbo diesel?... plus dakota w/ blown engine.... hells yea

Quick Reply: BAD LUCK(sucks)-story inside