Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Dakota 1997 - 2004 Dakota's

Squeak in rear end

Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Veteran
2000 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: Dodge Dakota
Default Squeak in rear end

I've had a problem for a while now. Every other time I drive what sounds like my rear axle makes a squeaking noise. It only makes the noise when I am coasting, if I brake then the noise goes away ( i don't know about acceleration, my exhaust is too loud.) When I drive near a curb you can tell that the noise is rotating with the axle. That's pretty much it, any ideas? I'm tired of people making fun of my truck.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 AM
All Star
1993 Dodge Dakota
My Garage

Vehicle: 1993 Dakota 3.9L 2WD
smokeweed69 smokeweed210 AbsorbedComa
Send a message via MSN to RockGuardedDak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner View Post
I've had a problem for a while now. Every other time I drive what sounds like my rear axle makes a squeaking noise. It only makes the noise when I am coasting, if I brake then the noise goes away ( i don't know about acceleration, my exhaust is too loud.) When I drive near a curb you can tell that the noise is rotating with the axle. That's pretty much it, any ideas? I'm tired of people making fun of my truck.
replace the u-joints. quick and easy. very likely that that's your problem too. if not, check the fluid in the rear diff
My Daily Driver: 1993 Dakota LE 3.9L v6 Magnum, 42-RH 2WD (180 Degree Thermostat, V8 Throttle Body, Hughes Plenum Fix) My Project: 1981 Chevrolet 1500 5.0L (305ci) v8, Auto, 2WD Long Box Old Lady's Truck 2002 Durango SLT PLUS 4.7L Magnum, 545-RFE 4x4
Old 04-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Veteran
2000 Dodge Dakota

Alright thanks, I'll get a few more opinions and try them out.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Champion
1995 Dodge Dakota
My Garage

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 5.2L V8 4x4 5 Speed Club Cab

Do you have drum brakes or disk brakes? If you have drum brakes, it could be that the pads are just barely rubbing on the drum, which would explain why you wouldn't hear it while you are braking. Jack up the back, take the rear tires off, and turn the drums by hand and see if you can feel or hear the pads rubbing. If not, check the fluid level in the rear end like said above. I can't really see it being the u-joint, but it wouldn't hurt to check it while your back there.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 AM
All Star
1993 Dodge Dakota
My Garage

Vehicle: 1993 Dakota 3.9L 2WD
smokeweed69 smokeweed210 AbsorbedComa
Send a message via MSN to RockGuardedDak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_318SLT View Post
Do you have drum brakes or disk brakes? If you have drum brakes, it could be that the pads are just barely rubbing on the drum, which would explain why you wouldn't hear it while you are braking. Jack up the back, take the rear tires off, and turn the drums by hand and see if you can feel or hear the pads rubbing. If not, check the fluid level in the rear end like said above. I can't really see it being the u-joint, but it wouldn't hurt to check it while your back there.
what leads me to believe its the u-joint is that he says its a squeeking type noise. i think its in the early stages where he can only hear it slightly or when coasting. when torque is applied, it may be forcing the u-joint to move. when he is braking, he doesnt hear it because there is no torque applied to the u-joints at all, they may move freely on decceleration, but not so much during acceleration or coasting. i could be wrong, but this is just what i gathered from my experience of running a u-joint til it snaps
My Daily Driver: 1993 Dakota LE 3.9L v6 Magnum, 42-RH 2WD (180 Degree Thermostat, V8 Throttle Body, Hughes Plenum Fix) My Project: 1981 Chevrolet 1500 5.0L (305ci) v8, Auto, 2WD Long Box Old Lady's Truck 2002 Durango SLT PLUS 4.7L Magnum, 545-RFE 4x4
Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Not to bring this back from the dead or hijack it, but did anyone ever find a solution. My truck is doing the same thing, I have looked and played with the U-joint (seems fine) and I think it must be coming from the rear disc brakes, but I cant tell. I have posted on a few other forums with no luck, I have a video posted on youtube of the squeak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFdwad3V9XU
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Veteran
2000 Dodge Dakota

Drum brakes. It stopped squeaking so I don't worry about it anymore.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Dakota

In my case it was U-joints. Under one of the caps the needles bearings were dust. Seal around cap deteriorated and grease must have washed out. Squeaking gone now. Rubbery sounding squeak got faster & slower as I drove sounded almost like tire was touching against something.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I am definitely leaning towards the U-joints or the rear brakes, I thought I had it figured out, but I guess not.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 CC 4x4 3.7l 5sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSVT View Post
I am definitely leaning towards the U-joints or the rear brakes, I thought I had it figured out, but I guess not.
Hey Midnight did you ever figure this one out?

I just noticed the sound this morning on my truck... and your video is telling me that whatever your truck had my truck has now.

Sorry if this is a bit old...

~D
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM

Tags
03, axles, brakes, dakota, dodge, end, mustang, noise, rear, squeak, squeaking, squeal, suspension, truck, turns