2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Completed the sound system.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completed the sound system.

Well...finally after having the idea down for a while now...I finally got my sound system completed with amps and a sub. Overall...it was a simple, yet very long process...pain in the *** imo. This required a lot of fabrication work, and the under-seat tray is pretty much all cut up.

Everything is pretty much done, all I need to do is add a cross-member above the amplifiers to reduce the chance of weight being put on em, and also a port hole for the sub.

I measured up, cut, and installed the ramps for the seat to sit on, and allowed the front for heat exhaustion.

This setup was intended for a little more boost in bass, and as well as allowing the 4 aftermarket speakers to peak, since the head-unit only puts out 50W each channel.

So what you see here is:

-300W RMS, 1,000W Peak 10" Kenwood sub-woofer
-Single-channel, 1,000W Kenwood Amplifier to power the sub.
-4-Channel, 500W Kenwood Amplifier to power the speakers.

...and all neatly stored, can't even tell there's anything there....til you sit on the seats, of course.

Last edited by Rakaric; 05-01-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:25 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey not bad why buy a 300.00 box for under there when you can do that. I used to have 10'' alphasonik sub only had a 450 watt amp and left it tuned at about half and I loved it I could kick myself in the *** for getting rid of it but it sucked cause I had to take out a seat.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

that is awesome! i might have to jack that idea, im a noob when it comes to stereo so ill be asking some questions lol
newegg has a couple of kicker subs on sale
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882519011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882519010
the 12 prolly wouldn't work but is the 10 good?
and i dont know if i would need a amp this is the headunit i got
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16882647077R
got mine for 200 brand new last year

edit: oh and i dont listen to rap so im not looking for extreme bass just a good sound

Old 05-01-2010, 11:24 AM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea thats def. sick set up.

if any of u havent bought from crutchfeild yet let me know ive got 3, $20 first time buyer coupon referral things.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Josh Abels
that is awesome! i might have to jack that idea, im a noob when it comes to stereo so ill be asking some questions lol
newegg has a couple of kicker subs on sale
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882519011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882519010
the 12 prolly wouldn't work but is the 10 good?
and i dont know if i would need a amp this is the headunit i got
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16882647077R
got mine for 200 brand new last year

edit: oh and i dont listen to rap so im not looking for extreme bass just a good sound
You *might* be able to fit a 12" but I kind of doubt it. When I first made the mount for my sub...you can probably tell from the picture I cut it perfectly fit the hole...but I made it before I took out the tray, and then I realized...there is a cross-member for the cab going along the backside of the tray...so I ended up having to tilt it, and the 10" sub barely fit.

The things you wanna focus on is output power. Currently your head-unit supplies 40W per channel, up to 4 channels. The subs you linked need at least 150W, but no more than 300W. You'll need some kind of a single-channel amplifier that supplies 150W - 300W, while the head-unit supplies the speakers.

The reason why I needed 2 amps in the first place, is cuz my rear speakers peak at 240W, and I believe my front speakers peak somewhere near 180W, and because of that....whenever I reach volume 25 (out of 40) or so on the head-unit, it would reset itself cuz it's like "dude...I can only give 50W to each of those bastards." So I just decided I needed an amplifier for them, and then figured I always wanted more bass...why not get another amp and sub to go with.

Just look around see what's your liking. My setup has plenty of punch and even though I endured a lot of hassle...the end result was satisfying. I found awesome deals on my amps, which was 250 - 300 bucks off...I couldn't have lucked out any better than that, really =P So it was total 250 for the amps, and 100 bucks for the sub, and also 75 for wiring kits.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:54 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Ok, that's all good but how's it sound man??? I am getting ready to Re-vamp my entire rear area for my system to go in and leave room for 1 person back there. Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do yet but I'm comming up on 3 weeks off to play with it so I guess we'll see. I've heard 1 10 just straight stomp but I don't have that kinda space to play with so I think I'm gonna add a 12 or 2 back there and just see where it goes from there.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

It sounds awesome! It all sounds so crisp and there's plenty of power output for the speakers. I don't even have to have bass boost enabled on the head-unit, and I get more bass than I ever did with the bass boost. Makes me wanna sit inside there more often to listen to my tunes =P

Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Congratulations, I haven't had a decent system in a vehicle in a while so I am desperately missing my tunes. I been living with my stock set up since i got the truck about 9 months ago and it's killin me. I'm an audiophile and mine wont even play a burnt c.d. and only mastered ones about 1/2 the time but my budget just hasn't allowed for much of anything lately. I'm actually planning on re using a lot of my old stuff that's been in storage.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Jdb107
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha i just have mine sitting behind the drivers seat, i hate putting my seat forward for people to sit there anyway so its useful > ill take a video of it shaking the **** out of the truck soon

Quick Reply: Completed the sound system.