2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket Lash Adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 PM
5hundo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Lash Adjusters

Hey guys,

I've had the infamous, 4.7L "tick" for over a year now and I'm thinking it might be time to deal with it. The truck has almost 175k miles, so I'm guessing they held up pretty good. I used Mobil 1 and a premium-brand filter throughout the life of the truck, so that probably helped. Driving it the way I do didn't help it at all...

My question is: Are there better, aftermarket lash adjusters that I should use, as opposed to using the OEM ones? Not that the OEM ones did that bad, but if there's a more sturdy option out there, I'd love to hear about it...

Thanks!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 PM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what most people dont know is the ford 4.6l use the same lash adjusters see it here

fo.png

do.png

i ordered trick flow lash adjusters off a 4.6l for when i get to my cam swap the 4.6l has alot more options out there

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (09-18-2021)
Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by moparman_2004
what most people dont know is the ford 4.6l use the same lash adjusters...

i ordered trick flow lash adjusters off a 4.6l for when i get to my cam swap the 4.6l has alot more options out there
Okay, so what your saying is that when I'm trying to source parts, I should look for replacements for the Ford 4.6L and more options will come up, correct? Thanks man. That's a handy piece of info to have!!!

Also, I've read a few threads about Cam swaps and chain tentioners. If I'm going to tear into the valve train to do this, should I just replace the camshaft and tensioners while I'm in there? I'm all for doing preventative maintenance and/or upgrades while I've got the thing apart...

Last edited by 5hundo; 03-29-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so im gunna hi jack this thread, what is a lash adjuster? my 4.7 has been tickin for years and as of a year or so, been really tickin or "slappin" upon start up. i was told my timing chains were so stretched that they were hitting the covers. it still will tick after the "slapping" stops, but will these lash adjusters help that issue? by the way i have 1/4 million miles on it!!!! ( and it starts in the morning!)

Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
moparman_2004
All Star

Lash adjusters are the same as lifters but there for overhead cam engines and as far as the lash adjusters I would look under the 4.6l for replacements and if you have the cams out I would do ho cams while your there no extra work and idk if it would help with any of that except the lifter tick

Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by McNasy
my 4.7 has been tickin for years and as of a year or so, been really tickin or "slappin" upon start up. i was told my timing chains were so stretched that they were hitting the covers.
If the ticking goes away after a minute or two, I would assume it's the same problem I'm having.

Originally Posted by McNasy
it still will tick after the "slapping" stops, but will these lash adjusters help that issue? by the way i have 1/4 million miles on it!!!! ( and it starts in the morning!)
I'm only slightly behind you with 175k. (these are great trucks!)

There are two separate problems that could cause the "ticking". The timing tentioners make a more of a consistent "rattle" and it's usually there all the time. For a good example of this, find anyone who owns an I6 BMW E36 3-series. They all seem to do it; it's commonly referred to as the "death rattle" but it seldom becomes an issue.

The tensioner issue caused by slack in the tensioner due to wear. The slack adjuster issue is kind-of like when you build a new engine and the lifters need to fill up, with oil. After a while, the oil builds back up in the tensioner and it takes the slack back out and the clicking goes away completely.

Last edited by 5hundo; 04-04-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
5hundo
Professional

Do you think that's the best option for these trucks? I know Trick Flow makes some good manifolds and what-not but I don't know anyone who has used their lifters or lash adjusters in the past.

How are they holding up for you?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by 5hundo
Do you think that's the best option for these trucks? I know Trick Flow makes some good manifolds and what-not but I don't know anyone who has used their lifters or lash adjusters in the past.

How are they holding up for you?
...or, are any of the other option, like "Sealed Power" or "DNJ" perhaps a better choice?

Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 PM
moparman_2004
All Star

I have not got them in yet hopefully this summer idk if there Any better but look up a 02 mustang 4.6l and look at the lash adjusters there's tons there

Old 04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
5hundo
Professional

I have not got them in yet hopefully this summer idk if there Any better but look up a 02 mustang 4.6l and look at the lash adjusters there's tons there
Okay. Thanks...

I'll search around for some Mustang threads too. Maybe those guys have some input.

Thanks for your help, man! Let us know how that Cam swap goes. I'm really interested in that...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Lash Adjusters