2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Seriously, sliding the tires BAD! [+story]

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Seriously, sliding the tires BAD! [+story]

New 265/65/16 Destination A/T's
new shocks
V8 springs (did it with the V6 springs too)

When it's raining, for the first 1 or 2 stops, the front brakes instantly snag and try to lock. I have to keep a fresh egg under the brake pedal else I get thrown out the windshield...It literally stops on a dime...my body doesn't. And this is at 15mph.

Later on Friday on ym way home, a car cuts me off, and it's still raining. There's about 100 feet between the car and I. I go for the brakes, they lock up. I let go, go back, they lock up. So I lift and pump them a good half dozen times, they aren't accelerating, and I'm hauling tail into them.

A school bus was in the oncoming lane, so at the very last minute, I let go of the brake and whip the wheel right to throw myself in the ditch.

Did I mention I have the equivalent of DOT slicks in back? Those and wet grass don't get along.

So the second the right rear hits grass, I'm pointed a full 90 degrees left to where I was going, sliding sideways. I see driveway's concrete raised bed. You know what my mind said. I hook that thing, I'm going turtle.

I decked it.

Some way or another, I get back on the pavement, blowing the tires off, throw it into a fishtailing drift, and get back in my lane before another car comes from oncoming traffic.

The car never did get going, and the guy driving the 18 wheeler behind me had this "What the **** just happened" expression on his face.

So why am I sliding the tires so bad? Are the brakes just getting wet and freezing up? Even with the stiffer springs and new shocks, the front still nose-dived when the tire locked up. Too much weight transfer? The 265 is too wide, and not enough contact patch PSI to keep the tires from hydroplaning?

The back brakes need attention bad, they'll get it someday [need to fix them before I can race it]. Fronts are about halflife.

Last edited by magnethead; 09-18-2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Could be the ABS but I think your new front tires are just not good wet road tires if they lost traction the strange thing is unless all you have is rear ABS… is the ABS should not allow this to happen.

My tires are crap in the rain they suck bad but living in AZ you don’t deal with a wet road all too much so I kept them. But I may be moving to Boise Idaho and that’s a very different weather to deal with wet and light snow with some ice.

Why slicks on the back?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the back brakes arent working, or the fronts are warped.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on the brakes you are using. If you are using cheap stuff then yes they are gonna be crappy. Dakota brakes arent that great to begin with. I only ever ran bfg's on my dakota and they never had a problem. Only time they didnt help is when that guy decided to cut me off then proceed to turn into a side street. Didnt help it was raining and I was doing about 35. I would jack up the rear of the truck and adjust the brakes till they drag then back off a tad bit.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a bad or defective proportioning valve it's supposed to engage the rear brakes before the front to keep the vehicle under control not slamming the front bumper to the ground

Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
moparman_2004
All Star

whens the last time the calipers were replaced the wifes durango did the same thing some times it would be ok other like in a quick braking instance lit would lock up like the abs was on but the calipers were just locking up replaced them and it went away but 265's should be fine i ran them on my dakota they were the mountain cat radials and never had a issue

Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Back brakes are...well lets just say I can lock them up in reverse (nature of drums) but forward aint $h|t. They're there but not to a great extent. Like I said, i know they need help. Last I checked sometime last year, there was still some material on the shoes.

It's ABS in back only, and the only time I can get the light to come on is when I'm in a panic stop on dry pavement, and I deck the E-brake while having the brake pedal already down, which can lock up the back tires once they're both down together with alot of pressure on them.

I can hear the solenoid clicking when I'm in a rapid deceleration (again, first couple stops when wet, it stops on a dime with no sliding and tries to launch me out the windshield)

Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 AM
EricBing
Professional

sounds kinda crazy but mine did the same thing, it was a rear axle seal leaking axle grease onto rear brake shoes..worked in reverse though as well, replaced both seals, cleaned brakes it's fine now

Quick Reply: Seriously, sliding the tires BAD! [+story]