2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Best EFAN kit for 2001 5.9 R/T

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:20 PM
jeff_rt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best EFAN kit for 2001 5.9 R/T

I know a lot has been posted about efans vs clutch fans,
but I have not found any recommendation for a specific model of electric fan that for sure works on the 2001 5.9 R/T in a hot area. I live in Florida.
About a year ago my truck overheated. I took it to the shop and the guy said my clutch fan was bad and he replaced it. Ever since then the truck sounds like a bus most of the time and I lost a ton of horsepower. I read up that the roaring sound is not unusual.
If the oem fan was on there and was working to begin with, it never made that sound nor robbed me of horsepower. I'm wondering if it was bad since the day I bought the truck. I had several overheating issues....hoses burst, thermostat and water pump went bad.
Anyway, I miss the way my truck used to sound (quiet) and I especially miss the horsepower that I don't have now. I'm guessing based on what I've read, that my gas mileage has also suffered. Soooo - can anyone tell me with first hand experience which specific electric fan will work with this truck in Florida? I'd sure love to hear somebody's success story on this one.

Thanks.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

anything that came in a taurus or lincoln with a V8. Some fans are 2 speed some are single speed, but all have 3 wires- 2 are shorted together on the single speed.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:45 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The Mark VIII fan is a single speed fan. It has a 3 pin connector, but one pin is not connected.

The Thunderbird and Cougar from 1994 to 1997 with the V8 uses a 2 speed fan and can bolt in place. It may be adequate, especially if you can wire it where you run the low speed or the high speed winding (don't run both at the same time!)

The Mark VIII fan is actually three different part #s with slightly different CFM ratiings, but the highest one has an inrush of around 70A or so - so it really needs a 200A relay to keep from welding the relay on.

Best info on the Mark VIII fans is a thread on TCCoA: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136722

RwP

Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
The Mark VIII fan is a single speed fan. It has a 3 pin connector, but one pin is not connected.

The Thunderbird and Cougar from 1994 to 1997 with the V8 uses a 2 speed fan and can bolt in place. It may be adequate, especially if you can wire it where you run the low speed or the high speed winding (don't run both at the same time!)

The Mark VIII fan is actually three different part #s with slightly different CFM ratiings, but the highest one has an inrush of around 70A or so - so it really needs a 200A relay to keep from welding the relay on.

Best info on the Mark VIII fans is a thread on TCCoA: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136722

RwP
I pulled mine from a 97 Mk8, both black wires are shorted together as hot. Just asking for a short, so i have one capped and zip-tied.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
I pulled mine from a 97 Mk8, both black wires are shorted together as hot. Just asking for a short, so i have one capped and zip-tied.
Yah, they do that so that they can run two power leads to it (with two solid state relays in the control box), and split the load (see note about up to 70+A inrush current ... )

It also means that folks who plug it into a MN12 chassis can get fan on both speed settings from THEIR control box. And that Ford uses one connector for almost all Efans.

RwP

Old 09-01-2014, 11:41 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

3.8L dual speed taurus fan with a dual speed capable controller. It moves nearly as much air as the mark 8 fan (3750cfm vs ~4000cfm), but at a significantly less power draw. on the taurus fan high speed is around 60amp at startup and 28amp constant, with low being about 30amp at start and 11amp constant. Keeps the engine and a/c (when the a/c is actually functioning properly) nice and cool, even when sitting in traffic when it's over 100° outside.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:55 AM
jeff_rt
Amateur

Thanks guys but I didn't want to get into the home-made stuff. I'm not an electrical tech even if this isn't rocket science. I can imagine that it's a lot more economical if you can find one of these fans at the junk since it appears that a half way descent after market fan is at least $350 if not up to $600 or more that will pull enough air.
After lots of reading, I decided to buy the oem fan clutch since I've read that it supposedly solves my problem. I think this 3rd party fan clutch that was put in my truck stays on way too often and too long. I'll update this when I get it installed.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:08 PM
jeff_rt
Amateur
Default Problem resolved

I installed the factory/oem fan clutch today and I've got my truck back.
It no longer sounds like a raging school bus and I've got my horsepower back. What a gigantic difference. I am one happy camper today and I didn't have to spend a bazillion dollars for an electric fan either. Sometimes things do work out.

Quick Reply: Best EFAN kit for 2001 5.9 R/T