2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

un expected engine shutdowns

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:49 PM
kathosey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Had Same Problem

Come to find out on my dakota same everything as yours....my cab mounts were bad and was allowing my cab to rest on the wiring harness and was shorting everything out....first truck shuts off...gauges went crazy....then brake lights, running lights, blinkers would work then not work...put new cab mounts in....(using old hockey pucks)....fixed the wiring and whala no more issues.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:17 PM
marty silverstein

Originally Posted by kathosey
Come to find out on my dakota same everything as yours....my cab mounts were bad and was allowing my cab to rest on the wiring harness and was shorting everything out....first truck shuts off...gauges went crazy....then brake lights, running lights, blinkers would work then not work...put new cab mounts in....(using old hockey pucks)....fixed the wiring and whala no more issues.
Something else to check out, before I pull apart the potting in the pcm and check the board,

Old 06-30-2015, 07:02 AM
marty silverstein

Originally Posted by marty silverstein
Something else to check out, before I pull apart the potting in the pcm and check the board,
Checked out the cab wiring harness and found it to be ok. Pcm here I go.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM
marty323
Default finally got a new PCM, for Dakota.

Originally Posted by marty silverstein
Checked out the cab wiring harness and found it to be ok. Pcm here I go.
Replacement Pcm seems to be the answer, I have run the truck for a couple of hours, on three occasions
So far so good, filled the tires and the brakes were not locked up, this was sitting a long time, drove to the corner and back, still in testing mode for me, when I can trust the Dakota I will drive it more.

Thank you for your time and effort to help me, I bought the lifetime warranty on the PCM.

Quick Reply: un expected engine shutdowns