2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7L Timing chains - any failures here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:01 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default 4.7L Timing chains - any failures here?

With 262K on the clock, I realize that I have passed the point where Chrysler says to replace the chains. The engine sounds tight, with only a little cold start clatter if I let it sit for days... That goes away in about ten seconds. Not so sure about the former owner, but I keep up with the oil and never let it drop below the full mark. I've also been running synthetic along with bosch oil filter and changing the oil every 7K or so.

I've had a few mechanics tell me that there will be major failures of other components before the chains would ever fail. To be honest, I have no intention of going to the expense of changing them unless I hear or feel something wrong on the horizon. Of course, I realize it may be too late by then, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

So my question is.... with decent maintenance, have any of you had or heard of timing chain failures on this engine?

Thx

Old 09-10-2015, 05:24 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Failures are not real common and it's usually the tensioner that fails first. But at your mileage it could go at any time.

I look at it pretty much like insurance. Failure of the timing chain or tensioner could take the engine out. So is it worth the $75 and a couple hours of your time or having to replace or rebuild the engine because the original failed?

At 260k miles, if you view the truck as a beater I'd probably let it slide. But if it was DD and I needed to keep it on the road, I'd be doing the timing kit and any other applicable maintenance...

Old 09-10-2015, 05:38 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think its a matter of good maintenance but normal wear and the chains stretching out and tensioners wearing down or going weak old age hits even parts.

Nothing escapes mother natures laws everything wears out in time.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
So is it worth the $75 and a couple hours of your time or having to replace or rebuild the engine because the original failed?
I've read that it's a few hundred for a quality kit and maybe a couple of days of DIY, according to what I've read. The 4.7 has three chains.

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I don't think its a matter of good maintenance but normal wear and the chains stretching out and tensioners wearing down or going weak old age hits even parts.

Nothing escapes mother natures laws everything wears out in time.

True, the whole truck will wear out at some point, but I'm trying to see if anyone has actually experienced timing chain failure here while practicing basic maintenance (check/change oil at a reasonable time). I guess if you let your engine sludge, the links would wear out fast, hence the "stretching".

The truck exhibits no signs or sounds that would lead me to think the chains are becoming an issue. I'd rather not dig in and take the chance of screwing something up, if the necessity is not truly there.

I definitely don't consider this truck a beater though. She's too clean!

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-10-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

No the metal will actually stretch just a hair at a time as time goes by even thick stone benches will sag in the middle over time. Lots claim they dont stretch but it happens any thing will stretch under pressur and a V8 puts a strain on a timing chain especially one with 3 chains plus the tensioner pads wear down.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 09-10-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've replaced a couple and rebuilt a 4.7 HO. OHC is a bit more work but it's still no more than a half day even if you take your time. But you're right about the price. The kit I bought for $78 in 2012 as part of a total engine rebuild set is now $190 by itself and $130 as part of a full kit...

Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I realize two differnt engines but i know with only 150K on my 5.2L (97) that timing chain was about due to slip off at any point. I didnt think mine would fail eitehr and heard the same advise but glad i tore all the way in and replaced it. I feel much better knowing its got a nice upgraded chain and sprockets in there.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

What made you think it was about to fail? Was it making noise?

Quick Reply: 4.7L Timing chains - any failures here?