2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Noob with questions.. Went control and reciver hitch..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Mefirst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob with questions.. Went control and reciver hitch..

from Sweden.

Im hoping to get some help with these following issues Im having with my 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport.

1. Weird issue with the went control. When I turn the went control to the defrost position, (Note - this issue is present at both settings, the Defrost + floor setting and Defrost only setting!) the fan blows warm air, but at the same time it also starts the A/C. The wents do blow warm air but the AC seems to be running at the same time. When I put my hand down at the floor went exit, I can also feel cold air escaping from the heaterbox. Also the A/C drain will also start to drip allot of condensation water. There is no cold air coming from any of the other wents.

-Is this a vacume issue with the went controller or something else? I hope to get some kind help/direction what the issue might be, before taking the dashboard apart.. The went controller works correct in all the other positions!

2. Is there a part number on the stock/factory reciver hitch? If there is, where is it located? Im having a bureaucracy nightmare issue with the Swedish car inspection office about the reciver hitcht. The issue is not with the reciver hitch itself or maximum trailer weight. The problem is I somehow need to convince the inspector, that the reciver hitch bolted to my Dakota is the factory one (which it is!) I have printed a equipment list from the Dodge.com page, but the inspector wants more proof that the reciver hitch is the factory one. In his small mind, though the Dakota came with the Trailer Tow Group option according to the list, is not enough...

Thank you for any help!
/Tom

Old 10-04-2015, 11:48 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Ha ha ok went = vent

I'm passing on this one but I think it has electric servos not vacuum controllers for the vents.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 10-04-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ur-dakota.html

Go to the link above and print out a build sheet for the inspector. If that is a factory tow, it will show on it.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:20 AM
Mefirst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well had a good day. Problem no. 2 is no longer an issue. Went with the easiest solution.. just went to another car inspection office and that inspector just looked at the receiver hitch, checked the car and said no problem, pay here.

Also had a talk with a a buddy who works on cars about issue no. 1. He said the AC does run at the same time as Defrost, reason is the AC pulls out the condensation from the air, this so the windows wont fog up, thats how it is on new cars.. But Im still gonna check the vacuum lines/vent controller at the same time I install an aftermarket cd player in the dash...

Thanks...

/Tom

Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Your HVAC controls are vacuum operated and yes, it runs the a/c in defrost to dehumdify the air.

Quick Reply: Noob with questions.. Went control and reciver hitch..