2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Wind Noise with an '05 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:59 PM
moparas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wind Noise with an '05 anyone?

Just joined the forum because I was searching for information on this topic. I just took my '05 Durango to the dealer today for this very reason. On the highway, if there is a crosswind the noise is terrible on the passenger side. I can reach up and squeeze the door closer to the vehicle and the noise goes away. So, that tells me the doors are not adjusted correctly. If you look at the top of the doors from the front; on my driver door, it's pretty level. On the passenger side, the door is almost an inch above the roof. It's obvious it will let air in there. I told them I don't need them driving it around trying to find the problem. I already found the problem and now they need to fix it. He said he doesn't know if they can adjust it. I told them I didn't pay almost $40k for a truck that's not put together right.
I'll update the post if I find anything positive. But, I'm afraid it's a design flaw on the Durango. It pains me to admit Dodge might have done something wrong. I've owned 10 Dodge's in the last 11 years and now my wife is looking at an '07 Tahoe because of this.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35765/B1115F01449A4374B5A0586E2569C047.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Tigerman911

I bought a Durango 06 5.7 HEMI about five months ago and i was shocked to find out that this was a common problem. I have the same problem with the wind noise on the driver seat though. I cannot see the door alignment shoft, but i can defintely hear the noise. It costs $100K to drive one of these here in Egypt and i hope we can push this strongly to Dodge so they can do something about it. Its gonna be difficult for me to take action about it from my dealer in Egypt and i wouldnt ask them to fix it either.

I guess i just need some ear plugs when i am on the highway I guess all i can do now is write to Dodge and tell them about it. I am really disappointed with this flaw. I think i should have gone for the Armada!

Old 09-15-2006, 03:48 PM
hdman

Yes, I have an 05 and my driver side does the same thing. One spot. If I squeeze it while driving it stops. Only above 60mph. IT IS ANNOYING!!! I have been wanting to call the dealer but figured they would tell me to get lost. But now after reading all these I am going to call! I want it fixed.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Intrepidacious

That's odd to hear those complaints. We've not heard any wind noise on our Durango -- it's been very impressively quite since we bought it last year.

I wonder if it'd be reasonable to *add* extra adhesive-backed weatherstripping to the top doorframe area?

Old 10-03-2006, 11:50 PM
jnjshep

Hi...it is me again. I was driving in my Durango again the other day and I got all fired up again about this wind noise issue. I am sorry, but it is just REALLY REALLY bad. I just don't feel like I should have to keep going back to the dealer to have my doors adjusted only to keep having the same problem! So, just FYI to those of you having this problem. I sent an email to Dodge.com tonight explaining the problem and that my dealer basically told me this was a "design flaw" and there wasn't anything they could do about it. I just get tired of having to drive with the radio blasting to drown out the wind. Anyway, just wanted to let you all know. I will keep you informed with what they say.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 AM
jnjshep

So I heard back from the experts at dodge today...their response was more than underwhelming!

Copy and Pasted Exactly from the email:

My Email to Dodge:

I will have owned my 2005 Dodge Durango SLT Hemi for one year the end
of
November. Since my husband and I purchased the vehicle we have been
extremely dissatisfied with the excessive wind noise that comes at 60
mph
and up. This problem is magnified if there is even a slight breeze. I
took the vehicle to my Dodge dealer about 6 months ago complaining
about
the problem. I was told that they could adjust the doors, but that it
may
not fix the problem. They told me that the doors were not set right on
the
vehicle and this was a "design flaw." They adjusted the doors and it
did
not help with the problem. I am so disappointed with this problem that
I
would like to sell the vehicle even though I love everything else
about
it.
I have submitted information to a dodge forum site and have talked
with
other people that have had the same problem and have heard similar
responses from their dealer. So, my questions are: 1.) Are you aware
of
this problem? 2.) Are you aware of a solution to this problem? 3.)
What
can you do to make me a satisfied owner of a Dodge vehicle? If this is
in fact a "design flaw" with the vehicle, I am highly disappointed
with
Dodge for placing it on the road and highly disappointed that I spent
mine
and my husband's hard earned $25,000 on a vehicle with such a problem.
I
am including the link to the dodge forum site so you can research this
problem. www.dodgeforum.com

RESPONSE:
Thank you for contacting the Dodge Customer Assistance Center regarding
a wind noise issue with your 2005 Dodge Durango.

We regret that you are still experiencing problems with your vehicle.
It
is our suggestion that you continue to work with your servicing dealer.
If the dealer has been unable to determine or resolve your concerns,
you
may want to seek a second opinion from another authorized
DaimlerChrysler dealership.

If your concerns are still not resolved after consulting another
dealer,
please contact our office at 1-800-992-1997, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.,
Monday through Friday, to speak with one of our trained Agents.

Thank you again for your email.

Sincerely,

Ahmad
Senior Staff Representative
Chrysler Group Customer Assistance Center

So, has anyone else tried to contact dodge? Have you gotten similar responses? What the heck do I do now? They didn't answer any of my questions! Can someone please give me some direction?????? I guess I will take it to the other dodge dealer in town and see what their solution is. UGGGGHHHHHH! [:@]

Old 10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
jkm1966

I purchased a 2005 and have the same exact problem. My service rep told me this was just the way this vehicle is. I asked about a fix and was told nothing was wrong and that I will get used to it. At the price I paid I feel this is the wrong answer but they will only warranty what they want. Highly frustrated and out of options I gave up. I hope you'll get better results. This is my Last mistake with Dodge.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:58 PM
hdman

I recently posted about my 05 Durango window noise problem. Since then I have taken it in to the Dodge dealer for an oil change. I had them look at the window/door noise issue. Guess what, the mechanic fixed it!!!!!!!!!! All he did was loosen up the striker or catch?(not sure if that is what it is called) that is located on the inside of the door jam. It's the metal latch that the door catches when you shut it. Anyway, he loosened the two bolts(screws), moved it over about an 1/8 inch, and retightened it. I watched him do it. I left and was so happy because it is silent now!!!! I AM SO GLAD!!!!!!!!!! He told me he has had many of them in for the exact same problem. He said it has fixed it every time he has had to do it!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Flealami

Awesome!!!!!! Going to try it myself. I'll report.

Flea

Old 12-10-2006, 04:13 AM
xray328

Sweet! I had that exact same problem in my '04 and after adjusting the striker plate its totally gone! Thanks for the tip!!! We took the truck on a 10 hour road trip to Michigan last weekend with that wind howling away, I bought window insulation and shoved it all around the door to try to get the noise to stop and it still sounded like the window was down. I was seriously considering getting rid of this truck because of that, it was that bad. Thank goodness that taken care of. I do notice a "pop" now when I open the door and it takes a little more of a shove to close the door, but I can live with that. They should make this a TSB!!!

Quick Reply: Wind Noise with an '05 anyone?