2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HELP - Dodge Neon Misfiring/Intermittent Problem - PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 PM
cookendorfernick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Dodge Neon Misfiring/Intermittent Problem - PLEASE READ

Hello,

I've recently posted on her with an intermittent issue with my car (2003 Dodge Neon SXT). Occassionally when driving it, after about 20-25 minutes the car would begin misfiring. And throw up error code P2305 (which is Insufficient Ionization to Coil #2). This has happened random. I've gone as long as a week with no problems. It seems to be becoming more frequent. Today, the car began misfiring again, I turned it off, back on. It ran fine for another 10 minutes, then began misfiring.

Got it home, pulled up the error codes. Here is what i'm getting now, and remember prior to today, I was only getting P2305.

P0456 - Could not find what this means?
P0440 - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P2305 - Insufficient Ionization to Coil #2
P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

In this particular order. Please if you have any information as to what the problem could be please post. Even if you don't know what it could be, please post to help keep this topic current. I would love to get a couple of thoughts from some Dodge experts on this. Please help! Any and all help is much appreciated!!

Also, here is a link to the previous thread that contains more information on the problem I am having. If you have any advice or help, please help!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Old 03-25-2008, 05:12 PM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain
Default RE: HELP - Dodge Neon Misfiring/Intermittent Problem - PLEASE READ

check to make sure all of ur plug wires are firmly pressed onto the coil pack and plugs them selves, also check ur spark plug gap, i'm assuming u changed plugs and/or wires... also try getting a new coil pack if that doesn't work also check the 3 wires going into the pack make sure they are not cut or worn

Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
cookendorfernick

Coil pack was replaced in January with a new one from AutoZone. Plugs and Wires should all be fine. Everything appears to be plugged in correctly. Again. This is an intermittent issue. The car will run fine for a few days. Then this issue starts again. Appears to be completely random. But this is the newest update. Before today, the only code I was getting was P2305 each time this happend. But now it appears as though there is several faults. As if something in a series is malfunctioning completely, and throwing off these other codes. I'm no mechanic. But i'd like to get this fixed for as cheap as possible. Please let me know if you or anyone else can help further.

Thanks for the response!

Nick

Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 PM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain

nada sorry

Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 PM
inthewerks
Veteran

if you dont want to add performance mods to the car and want it stock, i would strongly recommend not getting your ignition products from places like autozone. i went with an msd coil and performance wires when i replaced my stuff because the o.e. wire set i bought from autozone sucked worse then the faulty wires i already had. if you pop the hood at night and start the motor, you can see these tiny lightning bolt things shooting from your wires. neons need a very strong magnetic supression or they wont deliver enough spark to your plugs. just a thought on why your having these other codes. if this is the case, at the cheapest i would go to the dealership and get the o.e. mopar wires.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 AM
cookendorfernick

I'm not really concerned about it being stock. And currently i'm not really worried about performance (other than getting it running like normal for more than 2 days). But I do have a K&N CAI and a Catback. After the car threw up these codes, and I posted on here, I gave it another drive last night for 30 minutes or so. And nothing. It was fine. No misfiring, no hesitation, no problems at all. If anything its running really good. Maybe a little bit lean, but its hard to tell. When its running, it sounds good, it runs great. But then when this intermittent issue comes along, the car starts misfiring and almost a total loss of power. Turn the car off, turn it back on, it runs smoothly. You go to start driving again (say you're on the highway) and after about 15 seconds, the car will begin to misfire again. Turn the car off and back on, its again running smoothly. Any more ideas? I don't think its the plugs or the wires. Both are fairly new and appear to be in good condition (other than the fact that it runs fine for several days before it starts happening again)

Old 05-12-2011, 03:23 PM
kdavenport0017

i made this account just to answer ^....I recently had my head rebuilt and it was doing the same thing.. Now it wasnt throwing any codes for a while but it was misfiring. I went through everything and took my valvecover off and looked at the cams, these neons are known for excessive cam play. To the left of the cam I believe is a camshaft sensor. When i rebuilt my head i actually had to put new cams in it because the old ones were scarred. Not realizing that the old cams actually put a huge groove into the sensor itself and the reason i didnt know it before the valves got bent was because the cam and the cam sensor were still mating due to being stock it ran fine because the grooves on the cam and the sensor were both the same, so when i changed the cam all hell broke loose..i went back and changed the camshaft sensor and i havent had a problem since. I would seriously pull that valve cover and take a look at it because i had the same problem u do. Just my two cents and i hope it all works out for you.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:24 PM
kdavenport0017

the reason it runs smoothly sometimes is because when the cam shaft is in the right position and not sliding left to right it mates fine with the sensor. Once it jumps out of position just a little bit thats when it starts misfiring, because it is not properly lined up with the cam sensor.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Omegasa

While this thread is very old, I was having the same issue with my neon. I ended up putting a new crank sensor in it and has not had the problem since.

Thanks, you guys helped me find the real cause of the problem.

Quick Reply: HELP - Dodge Neon Misfiring/Intermittent Problem - PLEASE READ