Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

water leak on passenger side under dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 PM
vekoma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation water leak on passenger side under dash

hi, i am new here to the site and i signed up to see if anyone else out there may have this problem/has had this problem and might know what could be wrong.

i have a 2000 Dodge Neon ES that is having some water leak issues. the leak started almost a year ago and its not getting any better. its on the passenger side under the dash. it only comes in after a really hard rain and when i drive it and make right turns. i had to have the blower motor replaced this past fall due to water coming in and ruining it. when i had it taken in for its last oil change last month, they told me they would have to take out the dash to see where the leak is coming from and it would cost roughly $700 which i really dont want to have to spend, especially since its not guaranteed they would find the problem. im really started to get frantic because ive had this car for 5 years and its been a fantastic car, doesnt have many miles on it ( 51,154 ) and i just dont want my floor to rust/rot.

if anyone could help me or give me an idea of what could be wrong, i would greatly appreciate all the help and advice i can get. thank you for reading.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:09 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had that happen on my 01 (glad I bought those damn heavy duty rubber all-weather mats from Wal-Mart) and once very briefly in my 03 now. No idea, but I have always wondered myself.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Kabnoot
Professional

Mine also does this occasionally. Mainly after I get the car washed.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Py1stazty
Professional

mine happened this past monday, it looked like it was coming out of some cylinder under the glove compartment, it happened when i put the ac on full blast, it sounded like a can opened and some water leaked out, but then it stopped, it was also raining very hard all day.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM
N3ON
Captain

thats rare^^^^
on our cars water usually gets in

1:tail lights
2:weather strip
3:back window

Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
heather_2005dodgeneon

Mine is doing it now too. It is coming out of some cylinder under the dash on the passenger side. It is very wierd.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Py1stazty
Professional

i tihnk that cylinder has something to do with the A/C, cuz i found out the other day my weather strip came loose, and it was real stormy, and when i pumped the a/c to defog my windsheild, and it sound like a soda can opening and some water came through, hasn't done it since though

Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 AM
vekoma

the cylindrical shaped object you see water coming out of/strange noises does have to do with your a/c and heat. that is the blower motor which i personally had to get replaced with a new one since water was getting inside of it and ruined it. i just dont understand why water is getting in. it seems im not the only person having this issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:20 AM
neonftw87
Professional

that has to be comin in thru your windshield, theres no places on the firewall for wires or hoses to come in on the passenger side... my guess is your weather stripping is dry rotted on the bottom of your windshield, leaking into the inside of the dash and into your blower motor. eithere that, or a previous owner cut on the firewall like an idiot.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 AM
neonftw87
Professional

take the cowl off for your wipers, *that black peice at the bottom of your windshield and to of the hood that has the lines in it, see if theres any rust holes in there too...

Quick Reply: water leak on passenger side under dash