2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Horn problems on an '00 Neon

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Olskoolrodder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Horn problems on an '00 Neon

I just got woken up by my daughter a half hour ago (about 2-2:30 AM local time,normally I'd still be up,but gosh I'm getting old at 37,LOL!),whose room is next to the driveway,because the horn in our new-to-us '00 base model Neon was going on solid without any breaks.

I could not find the horn (in the dark with a flashlight),but the problem does seem to be in the steering wheel/horn switch,as I could make it temporarily stop blowing by repeatedly mashing that sweet spot in the wheel that normally blows the horn.

Firstly,has anybody had this problem before? Secondly,I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to the horn itself being on the right (passenger...front of car being front) side around the headlight area,but where exactly is the dang horn? Anybody know which wires coming from underneath the steering column would be for the horn (as I can just clip em and mount an external horn button from the parts store...)? I also couldn't find a fuse that the guide on the cover said goes to the horn...any suggestions there?

Basically,I had to just disconnect the negative battery terminal,it being dark and the middle of the night,to research and fix later today after church. ANY help or advice is GREATLY appreciated =)

Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 PM
iThane
Rookie

glad you managed to get your horn off, sorry it had to happen at 2 in the morning though! i havent had this problem myself, however my negative battery terminal disconnected itself once, while i was taking a turn.. took me a good half hour to figure out what was wrong...

as for the location of your horn, people have an easier time (and substantially less work) by turning the wheels all the way to the right and removing the front fender well cover on the passenger's side. The horn is right behind it and should make for the fewest things to take a part and it's not really that cramped to work. Neon engines are impossibly cramped. it took some work just to replace my dang battery cables..

for the fuses, i can take a look at my manual, but i have a 2004 SXT, so i cant promise you much. although i know the fuse and the horn relay is in the engine compartment, under the relay/fuse box next to the driverside shock tower.

hope this helps!

Old 09-26-2010, 03:41 PM
iThane
Rookie

sorry for the double post..

(totally posted this reply in the wrong discussion earlier today...........)

so my 2004 Dodge Neon SXT manual SOHC claims:

4 15A
SIREN
IOD
INT LPS

or

14 10A
REMOTE
KEYLESS
ENTRY
RELAYS

now i don't know if there are relays for a remote keyless entry, but the "relays" caught my eye. again, im only 17, im just a young grasshopper. this is located on the inside panel of fuses (to the left of the steering wheel) (just also found out that my 2004 was actually made in 2003.. (doesn't that technically make it an 2003? )

my fuses are set up to a 4x5 grid, im not exactly sure what your 2000 looks like, but im guessing they're similar. these two fuses i gave you are at the 1) top right, and 2) 4 rows down, second column from the left. i would just show you a picture, but my 20/20 vision can hardly make out the black on black contrast.

while your checking these fuses, go ahead and check the rest! if you have large fingers like me, some vehicles have handy little tongs that you can use to pull the fuses out with. i just used the one from our truck. the first fuse of mine that i checked was my fog lights, which was blown to bits.. (no wonder they weren't working, even after purchasing new bulbs and cables............)

best of luck to you. really hope this works out, and sorry again that it happened! if this doesn't fix anything, just hand her an air horn.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Olskoolrodder

Thanks for replying and checking,Brother,you're much appreciated =)

I found the relay in the engine compartment...but that's all I did,it was raining all day,LOL,no garage. Supposed to rain again tomorrow,but the horn's off for now,so long as the relay is out,so it will hold till Tuesday (actually...more like Thursday,daughter has drama/dance practice with the Youth Alive ministry tomorrow,and church/youth night Wednesday,the wife will ride it to work during the day,so...). REALLY happy to hear that trick about the fender-well! I was all set to pull the bumper cover at first chance,LOL!

I'm kinda thinking it may be in the horn button itself. I saw a few Q&A'a on a "Ask a mechanic"-type site,and that was one of the culprits for few peeps,and I had hit the horn pretty hard Friday night when a moron in an Escalade dang near ran us outta the road (had I not been watching...),kinda started it acting up,but it seemed to have cleared it up by the time we were home,I forgot about it till my daughter woke me saying it was blowing.

Normally,I'm up till around 2-4AM anyways (like most likely I will be tonight),having spent 98% of my adult life working late/all night shifts. Been the house dad/semi-disabled (as in,some days aren't so bad,almost "normal",while others I'm hobbling on a cane,LOL) for around 2 years now,but old schedules die hard I suppose...besides,at 37,I really am just a big teen

It may be a few days before I can really tear into this,depending on tomorrow's weather (wife is off Sundays and Mondays),but I'll definately keep this updated when I know the culprit and repair it,so's anyone else who may have this issue might benefit =)

Steve

Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 AM
iThane
Rookie

i love fast and helpful responses so i did what i could! your schedule also sounds a lot like mine, im usually up late trying to squeeze in homework with everything else i do. yet here i am on the computer :] at least im doing something helpful which is what i love to do! I've never personally had to pull off the fender well, but switching out my head lights was a big enough job with all the spacious room these engines provide.. so good luck figuring that part out

and that might have done it too, smashing in the horn. i also found out, during a funeral, that if you take the horn cover off the steering wheel and pull it out far enough with the wires still connected, it also sounds the horn.. oops.

maybe it was just my van though. boy i miss the lunches we had while sitting on the roof of that beast.

i hope im not stuck working late night shifts, you don't make it sound too exciting either. some days i work 2-10 pm on weekdays, and getting to work at 2 is real tough sometimes, school doesn't get out till 1..

any who, back to the real reason this website was given birth to, hopefully you find your problem and its not too much of a hassle to fix. and although your horn may be out because of that escalade, but give the suv a few years before they quickly learn why escalades were rated "worst vehicles on the road". he'll be fixing more than just his horn :]

Old 09-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Olskoolrodder

Escalades...don't get me started,LMBO!

Night shifts,I didn't mean to sound em bad at all. I worked security right outta high school (back in '91 ) while waiting for Basic Training,then my shifts in that man's Army were mostly night shifts,then once out,I drove cross country trucking from '95-07,choosing to drive nights,cause there was less traffic (and less cops,ha!). The only time I felt it sucks'/sucked,is when an early morning of things to do (like putting the kids on the school bus) follows,hahaha!

I'll also look into the steering wheel,see if I can fix the button if that be the issue,but if I can't get it fixed,I'll run new wires from the horn to the relay,and to a store bought button somewhere on the dash close to the wheel...I had an IH Scout II back in high school (followed by a string of turbo Daytonas) that actually had it's starter wired that way (turn the key,push the horn button/starter),wasn't that hard,LOL!

We all really like the car (and I hadn't owned a Dodge since '95 or so),and turned in 31.05MPG on the first tank with a good mix of different driving (including several stop light-stop light Honda bashing,and a top speed/limiter check on a deserted stretch of late night interstate),it's comfy,stylish (especially for a base model),and I plan to find a 5 speed SXT or RT if I can find one come tax refund time for me,and to play with a little

Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM
iThane
Rookie

best of luck to you!

and i fell in love with my 04 SXT!
but i had this friend who had an 05 RT in yellow and i was always jealous of her car because of her exhuast system. it sounds so much nicer than mine, and she even had a sun roof.. just last month or so though, there was an electrical fire that started in the dash, and toasted the whole inside of her car. luckily enough, it didn't really get to her engine or below the floor in the cab, so they're attempting to piece it and sell as much as they can, which means new exhaust system for me!! SXT = cheaper insurance, fast enough for me, RT = better engine performance, my favorite part is the exhaust, and im 90% sure they all come with manual transmissions. they look just about the same, besides the back bumper which is cut to fit the dual exhaust tips. with either car, i would plan to eventually swap the motors for a srt-4. she was proud of her RT and im in love with my SXT. its a win, win situation with whichever car you choose!

pictures of her torched car:

this is what's left of the inside of her car. everyone made it out okay, but they couldn't do anything besides watch the car burn until the firemen got there..

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1038101_n.jpg

and this is the outside of the car. what a sad site... there used to be a short spoiler on the back like mine, but it completely melted off i guess. her side view mirrors melted as well, they look pretty cool! haha.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6295380_n.jpg

but don't let me steer you away from the RT, i've never heard this happen to any other RT, and its probably just as possible to happen with any other car.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:24 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The MFS has been known to melt and possibly catch fire...

Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 PM
iThane
Rookie

do you mind me asking you to un-abbreviate MFS?

i googled it and got :

Marshas Fashion Shoppe
Monadnock Family Services
etc. lol

Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Multi-Function Switch. It's behind the steering wheel and is where the wiper/lighting/turn signal switches are. Cruise control too, I believe, if you have it.

Quick Reply: Horn problems on an '00 Neon