2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 SXT Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Hammers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 SXT Overheating

Hi all -

I have an '03 SXT with about 80k miles. Other than being a deer magnet, it's been a great car and given me no trouble. In the last week or so, it's started to overheat on me. I can drive it at lower speeds for a while with no problem, but if i take it up to highway speeds, then into slower traffic - it pegs the temperature gauge and boils over. I've changed the thermostat, but it still does the same.

I went ahead and picked up a water pump & timing belt to change out, but thought I'd check in here to see if anyone might have any other ideas. Is there anything I could do to positively confirm the water pump is the problem? Anything to rule it out?

The only coolant I can see leaking comes from the reservoir when it's boiling over. Other than that, all stays dry.

Thanks for any help or direction you can offer.

Steve

Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Hammers

Another point that's probably worth bringing up....

When this thing has boiled over and I've parked it - it just dawned on me that the cooling fan(s) have not been running. Am I mistaken, or wouldn't the auxiliary fans be running even after the ignition is turned off and keys removed?

Thanks-
Steve

Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

Not always but a water pump going out leaks from where the drive bearings. Problem with the neon is that is inside the timing belt cover. Before going that route I would flush out the cooling system and pull the radiator to give it a reverse flush. I've had blocked fines before and had to rod it out on another car. I think the only option for the neon is replacement.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 AM
JoseyWales
Rookie

proubley a blockage in the radiator...i would just replace it...just did the wifes 01 neon radiator 3 weeks ago..costed her 75.00..she needed it asap..you can find them new with free shipping for 45.00 with warranty..

Old 10-01-2013, 12:11 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

The last guy I talked to about this problem flushed out about a gallon of rust from the engine. Hope it works, doing the water pump is such a bear.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 PM
JoseyWales
Rookie

Originally Posted by sbhawaiian
The last guy I talked to about this problem flushed out about a gallon of rust from the engine. Hope it works, doing the water pump is such a bear.
ya its a bear,but got it down pat..For now on if im changing water pump,timming belt and depends on the miles Ill change the oil pump too to do a PM=pervent maitance..Hey you got it all apart you might as well do it so you wont have to get back into it a year or 2 later on..But if that guy had that much rust in his system,,then I would replace the radiator because that crap will plug it up and flush would unplug it..

Last edited by JoseyWales; 10-02-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Hammers

Thanks for the replies. I've been too busy to get back to looking at this thing, but hope to this weekend. The car has about 89k miles on it.

I recently picked up an old truck and had been driving it rather than the neon. With it sitting for a few weeks, it does make sense that a clog could have formed from crud settling in the radiator.

Think I'll try flushing it out first and see how that affects things before tackling the water pump.

This car is scheduled to go to my daughter when she gets her license next summer, so I want to do everything I can to keep it dependable. If it takes a new radiator & water pump - so be it.

Will let you know how it goes.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional

With 89K it's almost time to do the timing belt anyway. It's a good time to look at engine mount, trans mount, upper & lower strut mounts. I found out thru this forum that a lot of the aftermarket mounts use a very hard rubber that I feel when my car is stopped at the light. Good luck

Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 PM
JoseyWales
Rookie

Originally Posted by sbhawaiian
With 89K it's almost time to do the timing belt anyway. It's a good time to look at engine mount, trans mount, upper & lower strut mounts. I found out thru this forum that a lot of the aftermarket mounts use a very hard rubber that I feel when my car is stopped at the light. Good luck
bought the wife mounts on ebay..upper and lower both for 26.00 free shipping..bought a timing belts with idle pully and water pump for 70.00 free shipping and oil pump for 49.00 free shipping..

Quick Reply: 2003 SXT Overheating