2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Dads99Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile hang with daughter

My daughter and I drained/filled the diff on 99 Ram. Had a DIFFicult time removing the rubber plug But got the cover painted, (high temp gloss black) and still had eggs for breakfast. I am new to the forum, but I have been an avid reader for several years. Thanks! Now for the wash/wax.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed the crank case breather and pulled 3 pin oak leaves out of the end of it. Hose was all connected normally so I guess they came in the airbox and then went that way. So I pulled the airbox to make sure no others were roaming around inside or on the filter. Neighborhood if full of those trees so the leaves get everywhere. The rubber grommet came off with the breather but I happened to have one in the drawer of random dodge parts so swapped that too.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:16 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put some gas in it and hauled some old crap off to the dump!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

finally got around to changing both headlight assemblies. Got them off Amazon but they are the decent ones sold by many vendors, 65 bucks. Might have to adjust one of them as it seems like it's not pointing down enough. Got the headlight relay harness add on from LMC for forty bucks and installed at the same time as lights.

Also did the bezel (Mopar bezel off e-bay 180 bucks). And an aftermarket multimedia radio, while i was in the dash, with no CD (was on clearance for 35 plus tax from Autozone). Got the install kit off ebay months ago, about 12 bucks. The original radio CD was acting up and the damn volume dial rarely worked.

Traded my 68 Chevelle for an RV travel trailer, this allowed me some cash and time to perform these long overdue fixes/upgrades.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:09 AM
99on40s
Default Loads of work

Not just today but over the past 2 weekends off I have replaced govenor pressure solenoid and sensor. found front band adjuster in pan when I dropped it had to remove the valve body and reinstall it and adjust bands change fluid and filter. Trans all good to go. Replace plenum gasket(Hughes engines), broke bolt in intake in process, replaces valve covers, spark plugs wires rotor and cap, water pump, Efan setup from jeep cherokee with v8 (write up from this forum), oil change and oil pan gasket replaced, timing chain and gasket, 2500 brake upgrade (mine is a 1500) front calipers and rear wheel cylinders new brakes all the way around, all new shocks rs9000, all new steering components( ps pump, gear box, drag link, tie rods, track bar, sway bar bushings and end links, ball joints, wheel bearings, ect every front end component) installed ps oil cooler, steering box brace, sway bar drop brackets, replaced tv cable mine unraveled and wouldnt move inside jacket, replaced alternator with 160 amp( used on dakota factory) replaced heater core, had front end aligned today and finally got to drive it for first time in 2 years
yes I know that's alot of work and alot of money but I have been buying parts for over a year I was determined I wasn't putting her back on the road untill everything was fixed I didn't won't to price it together and be a project that never got finished it has been hard staring at part of these parts for over a year and just watching the parts grow on my porch but it's done 👍
special thanks for all the write ups on here on the things I did to my truck it has all been very helpful and made things alot easier

Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by 99on40s
Not just today but over the past 2 weekends off I have replaced govenor pressure solenoid and sensor. found front band adjuster in pan when I dropped it had to remove the valve body and reinstall it and adjust bands change fluid and filter. Trans all good to go. Replace plenum gasket(Hughes engines), broke bolt in intake in process, replaces valve covers, spark plugs wires rotor and cap, water pump, Efan setup from jeep cherokee with v8 (write up from this forum), oil change and oil pan gasket replaced, timing chain and gasket, 2500 brake upgrade (mine is a 1500) front calipers and rear wheel cylinders new brakes all the way around, all new shocks rs9000, all new steering components( ps pump, gear box, drag link, tie rods, track bar, sway bar bushings and end links, ball joints, wheel bearings, ect every front end component) installed ps oil cooler, steering box brace, sway bar drop brackets, replaced tv cable mine unraveled and wouldnt move inside jacket, replaced alternator with 160 amp( used on dakota factory) replaced heater core, had front end aligned today and finally got to drive it for first time in 2 years
yes I know that's alot of work and alot of money but I have been buying parts for over a year I was determined I wasn't putting her back on the road untill everything was fixed I didn't won't to price it together and be a project that never got finished it has been hard staring at part of these parts for over a year and just watching the parts grow on my porch but it's done 👍
special thanks for all the write ups on here on the things I did to my truck it has all been very helpful and made things alot easier
PICS!!! WE WANT PICS!!!

That had to be fun. How does it drive now?

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:27 PM
mokurt
Amateur

Made our 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins tow a 2001 Suburban 2500 100 miles.

Had to climb one steep grade.At the steepest grade had to put her into 2nd(automatic)and the speed was 30 MPH.
Made it home.

Thinking about putting a tuner/chip back in it.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:14 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Threw on a new fan clutch thinking it may have been dragging the engine and/or causing my vibration. Nope. Good thing was, my local Oreillys actually had the water pump tool in stock! I've looked for years for that thing! Would've made my t-chain so much easier last summer. Anyway, popped the old one off, threw the new on in less than 30 min. No improvement but glad I have that tool.

Went to look at tires as these Coopers have worn badly (scalloped) even though there's 5-8mm left. Discount talked me into BFGs TAKO2 and gave me $200 for the coops. Of course, they blamed my truck. Turns out I've driven 50k in 3 years so life was great but I was sick of rotating and seeing the bad wear. This is also another effort in diagnosing the vibration. Although it feels up in the drivetrain more than tires/road. Getting them mounted Monday. Out the door was $698 minus $100 rebate yet. Not bad for 285s in a new BFG design. I know the reviews are bad, but I'm betting they'll be better than the coops. Loved the look of the coops, just sad they wore poorly and were noisy.

Finally found a parking lot to seafoam it. Holy smokes, did she need it. Most smoke I've ever had seafoaming. Used a whole bottle on her.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I know I have a 3rd Gen Dodge but I thought I would share my day with you.

Well I was going to pull my daughters truck out of the snow and got stuck again. Then while trying to get my Dodge unstuck we hear this LOUD BANG.
Can't figure out where it is coming from so I go back to digging my tires out of the snow. My neighbor comes over and is helping when he goes, your front tires aren't spinning. So I am thinking I blew up the gears in the front diff or messed something up in the transfer case. So I end up calling for a tow. The tow truck shows up and as he is pulling me out something falls on the ground. After I am not stuck anymore I get out and go look to see if I can find out what fell out of the truck. I see this piece of metal laying on the ground and I said to the people I know why I don't have 4wd anymore. I broke an axle shaft because what was laying in the snow was half a yoke front a front axle shaft. So now I've got to get a new axle shaft for the drivers (short side) and new u-joints. But the real fun part is that I can't get my truck into the garage because of the snow so if I want to try to repair this myself I would have to do it all outside in the snow. So I think I am just going to have to take it to a shop and have then do it for me.

And then to add insult to injury the reason we were getting her truck out was because someone was coming over to look at it and maybe buy it. Well when I tried to drive past where my truck was stuck I got my daughters truck stuck too. And as I am trying to get her truck unstuck the guy who came to look at it goes, "your driveshaft is spinning but your front tires aren't turning. Great way to show off the truck and now they are going to offer me less money.

Can anyone confirm what axles I have under the truck? I always thought I had D60 front and D70 rear.
My truck is a 2006 Ram 3500 Mega Cab.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:46 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
I know I have a 3rd Gen Dodge but I thought I would share my day with you.

Well I was going to pull my daughters truck out of the snow and got stuck again. Then while trying to get my Dodge unstuck we hear this LOUD BANG.
Can't figure out where it is coming from so I go back to digging my tires out of the snow. My neighbor comes over and is helping when he goes, your front tires aren't spinning. So I am thinking I blew up the gears in the front diff or messed something up in the transfer case. So I end up calling for a tow. The tow truck shows up and as he is pulling me out something falls on the ground. After I am not stuck anymore I get out and go look to see if I can find out what fell out of the truck. I see this piece of metal laying on the ground and I said to the people I know why I don't have 4wd anymore. I broke an axle shaft because what was laying in the snow was half a yoke front a front axle shaft. So now I've got to get a new axle shaft for the drivers (short side) and new u-joints. But the real fun part is that I can't get my truck into the garage because of the snow so if I want to try to repair this myself I would have to do it all outside in the snow. So I think I am just going to have to take it to a shop and have then do it for me.

And then to add insult to injury the reason we were getting her truck out was because someone was coming over to look at it and maybe buy it. Well when I tried to drive past where my truck was stuck I got my daughters truck stuck too. And as I am trying to get her truck unstuck the guy who came to look at it goes, "your driveshaft is spinning but your front tires aren't turning. Great way to show off the truck and now they are going to offer me less money.

Can anyone confirm what axles I have under the truck? I always thought I had D60 front and D70 rear.
My truck is a 2006 Ram 3500 Mega Cab.

I knew dodge went away from the Dana axles with the 3rd gen trucks, but after some quick searching it appears they used the AAM 9.25 front axle for 1500-3500 trucks (yes, all 3, crazy), and AAM 10.5 or 11.5 in the rear... From 03 to 10.
I also found a few (very few) posts on different sites about 1 axle breaking with the other being bent. All of those posts involved the CTD trucks, I'm not sure if yours is or not, and most included plowing too.
I'll do some more digging to see if I can verify the front axle info, but I do know they are AAM of some size.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?