2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Scantools, OBD II Readers, and Programmers Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the PCM thing, the 2nd gen rams have a separate Airbag Module... It sits in the middle of the dash on the floor usually.. Has to be read with Chrysler's DRB tool or it's equivalent. IIRC, some you can jumper a wire and it will flash the Airbag codes through the Airbag light.

All engine and tranny codes can be read through the OBD2 port on the 2nd gen rams.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
With the PCM thing, the 2nd gen rams have a separate Airbag Module... It sits in the middle of the dash on the floor usually.. Has to be read with Chrysler's DRB tool or it's equivalent. IIRC, some you can jumper a wire and it will flash the Airbag codes through the Airbag light.

All engine and tranny codes can be read through the OBD2 port on the 2nd gen rams.
Also, the ABS can only be read from the ABS control unit on MC (I think) but it cannot be read through OBD port. I know there is something about pin 11 on OBD connector that needs to e jumped to somwhere to read something, but the Snap On Manual is not very clear on this.....so I have not tried it.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Hmm... Was it a pin on the OBD port? I thought it was on one of the harnesses for the ABS module. I don't have my manual handy right now...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 PM
gdstock
Legend

Pin on OBD No. 11 - I believe, but I canot reall what it would go to...Been too long ad I am at office so Can't go out and look. I ran across the info in Snap On manual while looking at ABS light issue.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Halojm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the $150.00 Actron from the local parts house. Just reads codes erases them, will also do a I//M monitor check. Only really use it if a CEL comes on.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
mibzzer15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Interesting. Could you please elaborate on all of that. Why type of airbag codes would one need to diagnose? Also, what do you mean by "read monitors"?
I asked her to bring it home with her tonight so when I get it again and take a look at it to get a better understanding of it with my ram truck I will let you know.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

I got a OTC 9450 obd11 scan tool abs and srs coder reader does a ton of **** of the price, I use in at the lot

Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about scan tools that can diagnose issues with the ABS system?

A tech I know told me that it is possible to completely flush the brake system of a vehicle without using the computer that connects to the ABS module so long as the system isn't bled dry.

I've been thinking that if such a tool is affordable it is something that should probably be included.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

The Snap On MT2500 will do ABS codes as well, just gotta hook it up right. I think there are only two wires involved, and both go to the OBDII port. (depending on year of truck.)

Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The Snap On MT2500 will do ABS codes as well, just gotta hook it up right. I think there are only two wires involved, and both go to the OBDII port. (depending on year of truck.)

That is what I was trying to figure out...something about another module somewhere and Pin 11 on OBDII connector. I'll look at this again once I get my garage unpacked and tools all located. As I mentioned, th varius manuals I have for Snap On are not very clear - or at leasst I am having difficulty understanding it.

Quick Reply: The Scantools, OBD II Readers, and Programmers Thread