2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Scantools, OBD II Readers, and Programmers Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The Scantools, OBD II Readers, and Programmers Thread

Since the topic comes up a lot regarding scan tools, readers, and programmers, I figured it would benefit the forum to have one thread where people can post questions or others can post their results or opinions of the equipment they own.

To get started, my question deals with OBD scanners. The current scanner I own cannot read anything from a vehicle built after 2008(?). So, I'm looking for a quality scanner that will work for all OBD II compliant vehicles. I would also prefer a scanner that is able to read codes thrown by the transmission. It seems that the scanner I own is not able to pick up codes set by the transmission.

Since the prices for scanners fluctuate based on the scanner's abilities and features, I'm not certain what to look for.

I would like someone who has a thorough understanding of these tools to explain what enhancements and features are added as the price increases.

What is the cost of a scanner that can monitor the PCM while the vehicle is operating and driving?

What do mechanics mean by "Freeze frame" (or is it Freezing?) when they are discussing the diagnosis of a vehicles?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
mibzzer15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freeze frame usually means the mechanic is looking at a page on the tool that shows vehicle data of the exact moment when a code has been thrown.

Right now where I work at we use the Snap On Modis, but because it is getting to be outdated, and update prices are outrageous, we are looking at getting the Launch GDS.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Scanners that will work for a large number of vehicles tend to be expensive. The little code readers you see at the parts stores are pretty generic, and very limited in scope, hence, they are cheap.

As you move up in features.... Being able to read real time data, being able to log said data, adjusting various parameters, the ability to directly control certain devices (IAC motor for one) etc, cost goes up. In a major way. Not to mention that even OBDII keeps evolving, as manufacturers add yet more layers of complexity to their products. (the computers taking over almost EVERY function on your car....)

For a really good scanner, that will do 99% of what you want, (aside from being able to alter tunes, and re-write them to the various computers) you are looking at price tags measured in the thousands of dollars.... (I am looking at YOU Snap-On....) and that's just the initial investment. As auto manufacturers make their changes, you need updates, and those can hit four figures as well.... for a multi-thousand dollar tool you already have..... (running a shop ain't cheap)

Same applies for software that you simply install on an existing windows-based computer. These types of systems can give you all sorts of truly amazing features, including the ability to do your own custom tunes, and write them to the various computer systems. Trouble is, they have the same price-tags, and update issues that the standalone scanners do.... some also have restrictions... inability to change vin codes in PCMs for instance.

Some of the custom tuning software packages I have looked at were right around 3 grand, and above. That was the software, and the minimal hardware required to be able to do what you want. (laptop computer was NOT included.... another 500 plus bucks for something.)

There are also packages available for under a grand, that will allow you to do basically whatever you want to one vehicle. It becomes vin-locked, alot like most of the hand held tuners on the market today. Of course, they don't include the laptop required to run the software on..... (you could conceivably run it on a desktop, but, it would not be exactly portable...)

There are free packages that will do a wide variety of vehicles... (software only) need a laptop, and a cable..... and they have various features... they will read most pcm parameters (generic OBD stuff, they miss out on some manufacturer specific things, like fuel sync on the dodges.....) can do data logging, read most codes, and erase them as well. Some are manufacturer specific, or, lean heavily toward one manufacturer. (usually GM..... dodge/chrysler seem to get left out in the cold....) Finding one that suits your needs/wants is the fun part.....

EBay is a good place to go looking for used multi-vehicle scanners. The snap-on 2500's have gotten pretty cheap. I think they run into issues at 08 and above as well though. The newer ones will be more expensive.... may also look on places like craigslist, and for shops that are going out of business, and liquidating their assets.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Gary-L
Legend

At what point does the price change from buying a basic ODB II reader that only pulls the engine codes to a reader that pulls both engine *and* transmission codes?

I recently took my Mazda in for a P0126 that the scanner at O'Reilly's pulled, yet the service writer called to let me know that in addition to that the transmission was throwing a code for a faulty Transmission Pressure Sensor. Since I have a 1996 Crown Victoria and a 1997 Dodge Ram, both with electronic transmissions, I'd like to have a scanner that can read both engine and transmission codes unless the cost is north of $200 or so.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

For the older vehicles, the Snap-On MT2500 would work just fine. Will pull ALL codes, including ABS codes.... and can be had for close to what you are looking to spend off of ebay.

Even the el-cheapo-deluxe scanners at the parts stores should pull trans codes..... not sure why they missed that. Maybe something Mazda does different...

Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM
mibzzer15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also look at the Mac Tools TaskConnect, about $400 or so. I know that is above the $200 price tag you were looking for, but it can also do engine, trans, abs, airbag stuff and read monitors and whatnot....Reason I recommend that is I know someone that uses that at work and she really likes that, that was the only good one she could afford BUT it does what she needs and gets the job done.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by mibzzer15
Also look at the Mac Tools TaskConnect, about $400 or so. I know that is above the $200 price tag you were looking for, but it can also do engine, trans, abs, airbag stuff and read monitors and whatnot....Reason I recommend that is I know someone that uses that at work and she really likes that, that was the only good one she could afford BUT it does what she needs and gets the job done.

Interesting. Could you please elaborate on all of that. Why type of airbag codes would one need to diagnose? Also, what do you mean by "read monitors"?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used it, but HPTuners.com has a fairly comprerhensive tuner and diagnostic code tools. They are coming out with the Dodge version soon, but will only be going back to 1998 on the Rams. There are some other nice software packages out there for only reading and clearing codes, that just require a laptop. Tomorrow I will post a link to the OBDII scanner tool I used in the past works great on the Dodges.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ONe issue on some vehicles that may inhibt the ability to read some codes such as tranny and airbag has to do with the different computers in a vehicle. Most on these Rams comes form PCM, but some comes from antoher module that does not connect to the OBDII port (can't remember what it is called, but my MRG 2500 cannot read it, giving a "no comm: error message. Also, these Rams don't read the ABS module through OBD port, and some vehicles do. There is also a newer (CAN) protocol out there.

I can monitor with MTG 2500, and it has graphing and printing capability as well as the ability to record the data for playback.

I also have a generic type scanner that records and plays back and graphs, but no printing capability.

The MTG requires a "key" for each type of vehicle, and a module for it. I have about 10 modules and 12 "keys" for the vehicles I own (and family members that I end up working on...). I really like the MTG, even though it is outdated and as replaced by Snap On several years ago, but the price is reasonable. Downside - no support from Snap On. But I own more "pre OBD' vehicles than OBD ones..... But the MTG 2500 (with the proper connector cables) can also work with "pre OBD" vehicles. I think the newest model year for any of the modules is 2009. You can also get the optional "Fast Track Troubleshooting module which is like a digital service manual.

About a year ago I researched a number of PC based systems, and the best I could find was about $2500. Since I do not do this for a living, I did not go that route.

(VW- When you come down here with beer, I will show it to you!)

Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the PCM thing, the 2nd gen rams have a separate Airbag Module... It sits in the middle of the dash on the floor usually.. Has to be read with Chrysler's DRB tool or it's equivalent. IIRC, some you can jumper a wire and it will flash the Airbag codes through the Airbag light.

All engine and tranny codes can be read through the OBD2 port on the 2nd gen rams.

Quick Reply: The Scantools, OBD II Readers, and Programmers Thread