2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New shocks and muffler - Critique?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Cali7312
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New shocks and muffler - Critique?

I am getting Rough Country N2.0 Shocks for my lift and also a steering stabilizer, matching the boot color to the color of my springs, diff. covers and suspension parts I will be painting this weekend.

I was going to buy a 2-in 1-out flowmaster (My truck has stock duals) Sport ORE. But I was curious if anyone here had any experience with flow master or suggestions?

Thanks, I will post pics of my painted suspension and shock upgrade.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Youll be replacing the bushings in the shocks at least once a year. I had to. Finally replaced the shocks.

Its rumered hear that FlowMasters do not flow well. I didnt have any problem with my 44 except for it rusting out in 2 years. And I got tired of the "noise".

Old 04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

I keep reading that..would you suggest SJ Hydro 7000 or Pro Comp ES1/3000 Series? Would go blistein but on a budget.

I have heard the 44 has a good sound but also heard the rusting problem. What did you switch it out with?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow lasts a while.

Thrush Turbo is cheap and quiet, but flows well.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

I switched mufflers from the 44 to a Thrush Turbo. It was quieter at first, but now its just as annoying as the 44. Plus, I have a gutted cat right now. Plus plus, Im getting older.

For shocks I went with Monroe-Matics. But then I only have a 2" level. The hydros will give a better ride than nitros. I dont have any expirience with SJ or PC shocks.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get the Turbo or the Super Turbo? The Super Turbo is louder.
Mine I can barely hear it between the radio and the A/C.
I think your gutted cat and old hearing is getting the better of you. lol

Old 04-23-2013, 07:39 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
You get the Turbo or the Super Turbo? The Super Turbo is louder.
Mine I can barely hear it between the radio and the A/C.
I think your gutted cat and old hearing is getting the better of you. lol
I think it was the turbo. Hell, I don't remember. (There's that old age again)

I'l bee putting a cat back on within the next month or so. If that doesn't quiet it enough, I'll get another muffler.

Sorry to threadjack.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i recently went to the local muffler shop for a new dual exhaust out the back, and got the largest 1-in/2-out they had. it was a generic no-name knock off muffler.

it sounds ok. a little loud if you get on it, not very loud for normal driving.

i like that it exits out the back, so i can't hear it. the stock muffler exited out the side and with cat removed, every time i passed a wall or building or car on the right side i got the screaming exhaust in my ear.

from cat location/end of the front pipe to the rear bumper, including pipes, muffler, bending, welding it was $250. a little high, but we've only got 2 muffler shops in town so there's not much choice. he did the whole job in about 45 minutes or less.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 04-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali7312
I keep reading that..would you suggest SJ Hydro 7000 or Pro Comp ES1/3000 Series? Would go blistein but on a budget.

I have heard the 44 has a good sound but also heard the rusting problem. What did you switch it out with?
I have ran the SJ shocks= junk ride hard, very firm, feel every bump/pebble in the road you won't keep a drink in the cup holder. Current shocks are Bilstein 5100= great ride, very smooth but not too soft, work well when towing, good warranty. If you can't afford new ones (Bilsteins) WN has a used set for sale.

I have ran the Super 44's, had dual mufflers, very loud on my truck, it would set off car alarms, rusted fast after one winter, check to see if you can get one in stainless steel. Current muffler is a stainless Magnaflow ??? two in/two out 2.25 dia very mellow until I use the volume pedal then it talks, much friendlier with the law.

Did I notice any difference in performance between the two, not by my butt dyno same thing no difference at all.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:27 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

I have a Super44 on my truck, I've had for just about 4yrs now, it is starting to rot fast, but this was it's 4th WI winter. Not bad imo. I like it, great sounds, really loud but not annoying.

I have skyjacker shocks with my SJ lift kit, crappy shocks not impressed at all. Merc is dead on, good luck keeping a drink in the cup holder. you feel EVERYTHING.

Quick Reply: New shocks and muffler - Critique?