2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

408 build (needing a second mortgage 😯)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:04 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You know, the damndest thing happened with that. Thursday night a military helicopter (CC-60 I think the report said) had a "hard landing" within about a mile of the course. All 4 occupants survived, even walked away with only minor injuries (which I am thankful for). As per protocol, they set up a 5 mile perimeter around the crash site, which obviously closed a pretty good section of race course.

Now, with that part being told, here is what I really find interesting. This crash happened in the Basin And Range National Monument that Obama recently introduced. Harry Reid was throwing a fit about this race going through there even though we (the locals) were told that all previous events and activities would still be allowed.
The BLM permitted the race to go through, but only at 35 MPH with no passing, and a few other stipulations. This was for the 35ish miles the race was in the monument.
The helicopter went down the night before the race, yet the next morning there was no personnel around stopping traffic around the perimeter, or anywhere close to where the wreck happened.
Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but to me there are too many holes in the story and too many coincidences involved.

On another note, I did get the fuel sync set. It's running great. Wound up going to a mud race this weekend in a little town about 100 miles away to run our timing lights. It was a good show, like normal. The truck ran great there and back. I'm looking forward to Ryans tune to really wake this thing up. It's just a tractor now, I wonder what the tune will make it into.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:50 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

So I decided to play with the dyno thing on my laptop today. Now that things seem to be dialed in, less the tune, I've notice a slight power loss from the first couple hundred miles. I am now at 1000 miles on this thing. It still pulls better than I've ever had with this truck, but the numbers where a little underwhelming.

Power curves. The numbers in the license plate number are the converted hp and torque. This was a pull in 3rd wih a slight uphill and some goofy wind.

Acceleration rate. Eh.

Now I need to play with different settings and see what changes what where in the corrections area.
For some reason this thing wants to show everything in metric, so I'll see if I can find a way to change that also.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Yeah, but, look at that torque curve.... (line? ) Pushing better the 450 lbs/ft from basically idle up to around 4200 RPM? You could push the house off the foundation with that. You have a torque monster. Which is what you wanted from it, wasn't it?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

The 450 is Nm, not lbs/ft...
It's hard to make out, but I think it says 271 and 362 in the lic plate number box.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spillage
The 450 is Nm, not lbs/ft...
It's hard to make out, but I think it says 271 and 362 in the lic plate number box.
Hhhhmmmm.... Missed that.....

So, I figure the graph peaks at around 480, plus or minus.... which converts to about 354 ft/lbs. Stock was 330..... so, a fairly significant gain there, still and all, 22% increase in displacement, 17% increase in torque? Hhhhmmmm..... I want to see what the numbers look like with a new tune. I would expect a pretty good improvement. (I would think....)

Old 08-27-2016, 09:29 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

202.52 kw @ 5173.99 rpm
491.29 nm @ 3332.84 rpm

My google-fu was hurried, but I came up with 271.58 ponies and 362.36 ft/lbs torque.
The test ran from 1500 to 5500 rpms. I am surprised at how flat the torque curve is. You notice it driving too. Seat of the pants tells me it hits harder at 2700 rpms, then climbs to about 3500 before kind of flat lining.
I need to find a good flat spot with some room where I can play. I'm going to see what different compensation factors do, and also different gears (1st through 4th, maybe 5th). So far that is the only pull I've made so I don't know how consistent it will be or anything else. I know that it feels like there is more there, but without time slips and an actual dyno it's all just bench racing.
I am definitely curious what the tune will do since this is the hemifever 91 octane canned tune for the 360. Should be some room for improvement.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:46 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
202.52 kw @ 5173.99 rpm
491.29 nm @ 3332.84 rpm

My google-fu was hurried, but I came up with 271.58 ponies and 362.36 ft/lbs torque.
The test ran from 1500 to 5500 rpms. I am surprised at how flat the torque curve is. You notice it driving too. Seat of the pants tells me it hits harder at 2700 rpms, then climbs to about 3500 before kind of flat lining.
I need to find a good flat spot with some room where I can play. I'm going to see what different compensation factors do, and also different gears (1st through 4th, maybe 5th). So far that is the only pull I've made so I don't know how consistent it will be or anything else. I know that it feels like there is more there, but without time slips and an actual dyno it's all just bench racing.
I am definitely curious what the tune will do since this is the hemifever 91 octane canned tune for the 360. Should be some room for improvement.

Well, that also is estimating the power you put to to the wheels right?

Stock engine numbers are just at the flywheel.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Well, that also is estimating the power you put to to the wheels right?

Stock engine numbers are just at the flywheel.
Another good point. Driveline power loss can be up to 30%..... Starts making your numbers look better all the time.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:19 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

I like your guy's math. Lol.
I think you're right about this being numbers to the ground. Considering I'm running down the road at about 6700 lbs on 285 75 R16 BFGs aired down to about 50 psi, there is probably a little being left out.
None the less, it runs great and smooth so I'm not fretting too much. I was just hoping to see those numbers about 50~100 higher than they are. Maybe I'm just smoking the good stuff again, who knows. Lol.

Edit: Just did the math for 30% drivetrain loss and got 353 horsepower and 471 torque. Might not be far off because of my original guess work. Those numbers are about what I was aiming for. A guy can dream, right? Lol.

Last edited by frankie_b_jr; 08-28-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Did some math
Old 08-28-2016, 11:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
I like your guy's math. Lol.
I think you're right about this being numbers to the ground. Considering I'm running down the road at about 6700 lbs on 285 75 R16 BFGs aired down to about 50 psi, there is probably a little being left out.
None the less, it runs great and smooth so I'm not fretting too much. I was just hoping to see those numbers about 50~100 higher than they are. Maybe I'm just smoking the good stuff again, who knows. Lol.
And you would probably see the numbers where you wanted them, on an engine dyno.

Quick Reply: 408 build (needing a second mortgage 😯)