Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how can I tell if my truck has a factory off road package?

Old 12-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default how can I tell if my truck has a factory off road package?

I'm attempting to purchase shocks for this 99 1500 4x4. The parts stores all want to know if it has an off road package, how can I find out?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 12-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default RE: how can I tell if my truck has a factory off road package?

The easiest way is to look for a decal on your truck that says "offraod" or something like that. Its on the tailgate ( I believe the left side). You can always decode your vin #.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

As already stated, it should have the Off-road decals on it. It'll also have the 17" Off-road wheels, skid plates, and sit about 2" higher than a normal 1/2 ton.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, 318, auto, 4x4, power moonroof, Keystone Viper hood, 4 disk in-dash CD, JL Audio Stealthbox, Mopar rollpan, etc

Old 01-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport

I have a tangent question: DO all Dodge Ram Sports have the offroad package? I thought they did, so if your ram is a sport, its got it, I think, right?
Also, 98 was the first year that they put offroad on the tailgate wasnt it?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:30 AM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rambo97

I have a tangent question: DO all Dodge Ram Sports have the offroad package? I thought they did, so if your ram is a sport, its got it, I think, right?
Also, 98 was the first year that they put offroad on the tailgate wasnt it?
No, not all sport Rams have it, and actually your Ram doesn't have to be a sport model to have the off-road package. I've seen a few regular Rams with it. I believe it was only an option on the 1500's too, but I could be wrong about that (I've never seen a 2500 or 3500 with it though). I believe the off-road package was only offered in 2000 and 2001 (it might have been available in 99, but I'm not sure...I've never seen one either).

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, 318, auto, 4x4, power moonroof, Keystone Viper hood, 4 disk in-dash CD, JL Audio Stealthbox, Mopar rollpan, etc

Old 01-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Yeah, the off-road package was only available in 2000, 2001 and i was told..could be totally wrong..that the ram 2000,2001 2500's use the same suspension, factory 2" lift etc that the 1500 off-road uses..so it would kind of, be pointless to have had a 2500 off-road package. And yah..they were available in the SLT or Sport models..
Old 01-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Garage is empty, add now

i got a 2001 ram with the off road package but it is not a sport, its a quad cab 1500 4x4. the only difference is that my bumpers are crome instead of painted ( i would rather have the crome ones because i seen alot of sport ones with the painted bumpers rust in couple years.) and i dont have the sport decals.

[sm=patriot.gif]

--2001offroad--
Old 01-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5.91500beast

i was told..could be totally wrong..that the ram 2000,2001 2500's use the same suspension, factory 2" lift etc that the 1500 off-road uses..so it would kind of, be pointless to have had a 2500 off-road package.
That makes a lot of sense, seeing as an Off-road 1500 sits as high as a 2500.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 2001offroad

the only difference is that my bumpers are crome instead of painted ( i would rather have the crome ones because i seen alot of sport ones with the painted bumpers rust in

I really dont know a whole lot about like, the details of Ram's and stuff but i am pretty sure that there is more different between a Sport model and an SLT model than just a different color bumper. Dont they have like, different gear ratios or stuff like that?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 5.91500beast

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 2001offroad

the only difference is that my bumpers are crome instead of painted ( i would rather have the crome ones because i seen alot of sport ones with the painted bumpers rust in

I really dont know a whole lot about like, the details of Ram's and stuff but i am pretty sure that there is more different between a Sport model and an SLT model than just a different color bumper. Dont they have like, different gear ratios or stuff like that?
The Sport package is only an appearance option. It's actually called the Sport Appearance Group (RPO code AGG), and adds painted bumpers and grill (and I think different colored badging, but I'm not sure on that). All other aspects between an SLT and Sport are the same (carries the same standard equipment and the same options are available), and actually you need to order the SLT package to be able to order the Sport package.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Tags
1998, 2001, 2004, 2500, dodge, forum, list, nram, package, put, ram, road, rpo, sports, truck