2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Losing Brake Fluid - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
tram98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing Brake Fluid - HELP

I have a '98 Ram 1500 4x4 w/5.2L. It's been losing brake fluid for some time, but the fluid never makes it's way to the ground. It was a slow leak at first, but has gotten much worse. It will even empty the reservoir just sitting in the driveway. I filled it Saturday morning and the truck just sat in the driveway until Sunday night. Sunday night I checked the level and it was empty. This iswithout even runningor starting the truck.

Again, there are no traces of brake fluid making it to the ground and it's not leaking in the usual place beside the gas tank. I'm wondering if it could beleaking into the Power Booster? Many people have told me it's not possible, but it seems like the only place it can be going.

On another note, about the same time thatthe truckstarted losing lots of brake fluid, it also started billowing tons of white smoke out the exhaust. I originally thought head gasket leak or intake gasket, but now I'm thinking that if the brake fluid is leaking into the power booster and making it's way into the intake (and engine), it could cause all the smoke.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already started tearing everything down to get at the intake gasket. Maybe replacing the Power Booster will solve both my problems? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Baddnet
Professional
Default RE: Losing Brake Fluid - HELP

I have seen the brake booster have fluid in them.. and it does just what you said about the white smoke.. but this was on older trucks..
also it ruins the booster...
If it aint leakin wheel cylinders or calipers.. and no lines are leaking.. only place it could be leaking it is the mastercylinder is leakin back into the booster.. but I would think you would see it running out..if it is leaking that much

Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 PM
White Ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me on my Cherokee - fluid was in the booster

Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
8t5gt
Veteran

yeah its whats happein on my truck, i bought a new master from summit for 41.99, resevoir and master. i have yet to put it in. mines not that bad, i gotta fill the master everyweek and half and my brakes dont feel great lol :P

Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 AM
tram98

So, I pulled the brake booster and master cylinder off last night. The booster was filled with about half a gallon of brake fluid! Now I know where it'sbeen going for the past 4 months. When I first started losing fluid and couldn't find a leak, I called the Dodge dealer to see if it could be leaking into the booster and was told that it wasn't possible. They kept telling me one of the lines was leaking and that it just wasn't making it's way to the ground.

8t5gt - mine started off the same way. I would have to fill the master every couple of weeks.This went on for about 4 months. Then the truckstarted pouring out white smoke from the exhaust whilebacking out the driveway to go to work a few weeks ago and thebrake fluid level dropped quickly. I'm thinking it took a while toreach a point where enough fluid made it's way into the brake booster that itstarted pulling it into the intake manifold thru the vacuum line.

I bought a new master cylinder and booster last night and plan to put those on tonight.Hopefully it will solve both the brake problem and the white smoke coming out the exhaust.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Baddnet
Professional

Cool beans... not a hard job to change... glad you got it figured out...

Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
dusty_duster
Veteran

Glad you figured it out! I was just about to tell you to remove the hose going from the booster to the intake and see if fluid dripped out.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 AM
popeye923

i have a 2000 dodge ram i was losing fluid as you all where thought it was master then put one on well for less than a day then right back to same well i said got to bad master put another new one on well want build up have like little bit put on comp said bad sensor replaced it on rearend still no brakes losing fluid but still don't see any on tires or else where watt bout vavle thingie i need brakes fixed bad wife drives it grandkids oh yeah abs light on brake light on i'am lost {HELP}

Last edited by popeye923; 11-17-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: FORGOT TWO THINGS
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

Originally Posted by tram98
So, I pulled the brake booster and master cylinder off last night. The booster was filled with about half a gallon of brake fluid! Now I know where it'sbeen going for the past 4 months. When I first started losing fluid and couldn't find a leak, I called the Dodge dealer to see if it could be leaking into the booster and was told that it wasn't possible. They kept telling me one of the lines was leaking and that it just wasn't making it's way to the ground.

8t5gt - mine started off the same way. I would have to fill the master every couple of weeks.This went on for about 4 months. Then the truckstarted pouring out white smoke from the exhaust whilebacking out the driveway to go to work a few weeks ago and thebrake fluid level dropped quickly. I'm thinking it took a while toreach a point where enough fluid made it's way into the brake booster that itstarted pulling it into the intake manifold thru the vacuum line.

I bought a new master cylinder and booster last night and plan to put those on tonight.Hopefully it will solve both the brake problem and the white smoke coming out the exhaust.
Take some pics and show the dealership, and see what they say then. Haha Think they know everything! Hope it fixes everything for ya!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 8uzzsaw
Take some pics and show the dealership, and see what they say then. Haha Think they know everything! Hope it fixes everything for ya!
You do realize this thread is from 2008 right Saw?

Quick Reply: Losing Brake Fluid - HELP