2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

drivers side lower than passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drivers side lower than passenger?

Hey everyone. I've got a '95 2500 V8 reg. cab long box. Within the first month of owning it back in 2004 I noticed that the drivers side of the truck seemed to be leaning to that side, more noticibly from the front. So i got out a tape measure and sure enough, both the front and rear of the drivers side is a 1/2 inch lower than the passenger. Can anybody tell me why this is? It's been driving me nuts for years now. Its never been in any wreck so the frame can't be bent. I've never replaced the shocks, maybe thats it? The previous owner hauled a camper on it and added extra leaf springs in the rear but they all appear to measure the same. Any suggestions on what it might be? anybody else have this scenario going on? any input would be great! thanks! and by the way, all the measuring was done on a flat level shop floor...

Old 01-17-2009, 09:21 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually this happens when a sever amount of weight is put on one side... i.e. The Duster I bought in 88, the prevoius owner was about 415lbs, and so the seat and suspension were both broke down a bit then, so it was leaning towards the drivers side when I bought it. I ended up putting a new suspension inder it, both front and rear and it was fine...

Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Mine did that, I did not seat the coil springs correctly when I first lifted it. Easy fix, worth looking into sine you can tell by looking at the bottoms and making sure the end is against the metal flush

Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM
JackJ
Captain

I got the lean on the *** end of my truck on the left side, my JEEP has the same lean, parked next to each other they look gangsta.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine leans on the rear. its just the result of different sag rates over the years. the drivers side carries the driver, battery, gas tank. someone recently posted that they went to the junk yard and got a set of springs, and put the junkyard passenger set on their drivers side and it leveled it back up nice.

i notice you have a small lift. +1 on check the seating of the coils. its sort of odd for the front to lean.

edit - nice looking truck. ride height has nothing to do with shocks, they only reduce bounce. the springs do ALL the work.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 01-18-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey thanks you guys for the info and the suggestions. I'll look into the seating of the springs now that i think of it i may have not seated them right when i put on the 2 inch spacers in the front. but thanks again.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
helms
All Star

check for broken leaves in the spring pack as well, one broken one would make it lean about 1/2"

Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
breeves

i just encountered this, except mine was very sudden, my rear main spring broke off the shackle, and dropped about 2inches, new springs on the way, yay

Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you might need new leaf springs in the back.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by breeves
i just encountered this, except mine was very sudden, my rear main spring broke off the shackle, and dropped about 2inches, new springs on the way, yay
hey breeves, where did you get your new springs ?

Quick Reply: drivers side lower than passenger?