Rebuild Update: March 16, 2009
I removed the 46RE tranny from my 1996 Ram SLT 5.9l yesterday. Here are a few pointers to make the job go easier for the next guy.
1. Remove the spark plugs BEFORE you jack the truck up (just makes it easier to reach)!!!
2. Get a 1 1/4" socket for the front crank (so you can turn the crank when you need to remove the flywheel bolts).
3. Cut your exhaust behind the CAT. This will save time trying to pry it apart!
4. When removing the top bolts from the bellhousing, lower the tranny just a hair so you can see up into the cavity above the bellhousing. It just makes it easier!
5. Remove the oil filter (there is one bellhousing bolt that is behind the filter)
6. Soak all exhaust bolts in PB Blaster a week before you remove the tranny!!!
7. Have plenty of lights available. A magnetic light(s) works great. You can stick it to the frame rail and position it where you want!
I'll post pics later...
Last edited by gobbell1; 04-09-2009 at 01:15 PM.