2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing new shocks...New Bolts Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
peterfromme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new shocks...New Bolts Needed?

I ordered new shocks and a steering stabilizer online. I called local shops and they won't install them because I didn't buy them from them...So, I plan to install them myself this weekend. My truck has 140k miles and original shocks. I'm guessing the bolts for the shocks will be pretty rusty and might need to be replaced.

How/where would I get new bolts for installing the shocks? Not to sound dumb, but would a particular grade of metal bolt from Home Depot work or do I need to go to order them from the dealer?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the bolts shouldn't be shot I don't think.
Obvisouly, if you round off one or break one taking it off, then you need to replace...

Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! A) where do you live that shops are able to turn down such an easy job, B) why would you think you need to replace the hardware without having even removed it yet? If this job looks hard to you then maybe you should let someone else do it.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

odds are good that the original bolts will be fine. spray them with pb-blaster before you remove them. i had to replace a lower rear bolt that was all wallowed out and was loose in the bushing. i got lucky and found one in my bolt bucket, but any bolt grade should be fine. they're pretty big diameter (about 9/16 or 14mm) and pretty long, so home depot probably won't have one. you might have to go to an old fashioned parts store or fastener place. or possibly the dealer...

Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 PM
xray99
Banned

The lower bolt you reuse, you will most definetly need a breaker bar to get it off, and probably a section of pipe on that.
Good thing is there is a tab on the nut, so you don't need to worry about putting a wrench on the nut side.

Top one is typically crusted beyond hope, best way to get if off is snap it off with an air ratchet, if no air try it by hand, or use a right angle grinder to cut it off.
New shocks should have the top nut in the box, along with new bushings.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my bottom bolts and top/bottom in the back didn't have any rust on them so it must be a pretty good alloy that they're made of. and i just used a 3/8ths drive ratchet to get mine off and a wrench for the top bolts (124000 miles on original shocks). i actually had an 18" extension for the bottom of the front shocks so i wouldn't have to get under the truck or take the tire off.

if you're going to use a penetrating fluid (it'll make it easier) don't waste your time with pb blaster/wd40 or liquid wrench. use CRC Knock'er Loose, Cyclo, or Kroil. or you could use oil of wintergreen if you can find some, its hard to come by though because its toxic.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 06-25-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
if you're going to use a penetrating fluid (it'll make it easier) don't waste your time with pb blaster/wd40 or liquid wrench. use CRC Knock'er Loose, Cyclo, or Kroil. or you could use oil of wintergreen if you can find some, its hard to come by though because its toxic.
Yeah, because all those other petroleum derivatives you mentioned are safe to ingest.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 PM
SarcasticDwarf
Professional

Unless the cost is very high I tend to replace any nuts and bolts I take off when working on a vehicle. Would you rather replace a 10 year bolt now, or a 20 year old bolt in 10 years when you do this again?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Yeah, because all those other petroleum derivatives you mentioned are safe to ingest.
not just toxic to breathe, it quickly and easily absorbs into your skin. my dad said that when he was in the Navy they used a medical needle to apply it because its so powerful.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Wow! A) where do you live that shops are able to turn down such an easy job, B) why would you think you need to replace the hardware without having even removed it yet? If this job looks hard to you then maybe you should let someone else do it.

where did you get that he thinks its gonna be hard?

if you do feel that they need replaced, after you take them off just go to a hardware store and match up the size and length and get grade 8

Quick Reply: Installing new shocks...New Bolts Needed?