2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission related issue I never got sorted out(help me lol)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:22 AM
99purpleram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission related issue I never got sorted out(help me lol)

So normally when I drive, I have to let off the gas pedal to shift out of first into 2nd gear(this is a 46re auto btw) and if I ever floored it no matter the speed it would try to shift back into first gear. Well not even floored, anywhere between 1/2 to 2/3 throttle it'd try to shift to first, and trust me I really mean first gear as I almost blew everything up once.

However, with the 8pin power plug taken off of my trans, I can manually shift 1 2 and 3 all fine, I can floor it, no weird first gear shift.

So where do I look first in sorting out this problem as Im really glad I just found out it seems to be an electronics issue and not rebuild time...although it is rebuild time honestly 270k originally tranny yea not gonna last too long lol.

So where do I look first to replace?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Get the Borg-Warner heavy duty kit from Ebay, runs like 100 bucks. Should solve a bunch of your issues.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought my trans was original too then one day I was crawling around under it and saw a Mopar remain trans tag.

From 2003 so it might as well be original

Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM
99purpleram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly mine actually is the original as its been a 2 owner truck, and my dad knew the guy I got it from. So now that I can actually gun it besides first gear, it probably will be rather short of a life left lol hopefully nothing to spectacular and no explosions when it dies.

And thanks, I'll order those tonight and let ya know if they solve it entirely.

Quick Reply: Transmission related issue I never got sorted out(help me lol)