2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Eddielx
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake install?

I ordered my airgap intake and I was told everthing needed would be in the kit but I was thinking if there would be anything else I should change while it is off?
I was thinking about picking up a 180stat but do these trucks go into a cold start loop?I might also order the fastman52
I would like to have everything there when its time to do this job you all know how much of a pain it is running out to the parts store in the middle of the job or needing a part that has to be orderd.

Thanks for any info..

Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 PM
ophidia
Captain

You'll have good access to the water pump. As long as it's apart and the coolant is drained you may as well change it-- a new one is cheap. Maybe change the idler pully too-- again, cheap, and you'll have easy access.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

180* thermostat should be ok where you're at. like above, change that stuff...maybe timing chain as well(dont know how many miles is on yours)? its close. while the intake is off, if you havent done it in a while, change the cap and rotor...wires, plugs, all tune up stuff. just poke around in there and see what there might be that looks like it needs changing

Old 08-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Eddielx
Professional

Ok thanks..
I will order a water pump and idler pully

I Orderd a 180 high flow stainless steel thermostat from hughes also.I will need to get injector O rings just incase.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Rockyhigh360
Veteran

Might as well throw in a new coolant temp sensor, t-stat housing, upper hear hose (your going to end up cutting it off), relocate your I.A.T., new cap and rotor, plenty of black zip ties for all the wire and hoses, and a few brass 3/8" plugs for the extra holes in the intake. I had to run to Home depot for those they shorted me. Also get some compressed electric sensor cleaner and go to town on all your connections. Make sure you have a good torque wrench also. I prefer the old style with the needle and dial plate.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

In addition to the above mentioned...

Valve cover gaskets- check, replace, torque valve covers to spec(they do loosen up)

If you go with the Fastman TB or even keep the stock one, clean it completely, clean or replace the TPS and the AIC.

now is the time to install an RAC if you are going that route.

Oil/Fliter change. Flush and refil radiator, do both hoses.

and make sure you have all the gaskets you will need.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Eddielx
Professional

I just got the intake in the mail.Looks good

Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Eddielx
Professional

I have the new intake in I noticed some oil inside but not alot until we set it aside then I noticed alot of oil leaking out of the intake it must have been hiden in there somewhere.
I forgot to get the bypass hose I will pick that up tommrow I hope they stock it.
Its not as easy as they say to install it.Took some time to get the injectors lined up right and some other small things that take time to get right.
I have a mechanic I know installing this for me.

I also need a Radiator the top of it look bowed out

Last edited by Eddielx; 08-22-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah the fastman should work awesome with the airgap nice job man , let us know your results bro. take some pics too

Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Eddielx
Professional

I was looking at my TB and was thinking if it had been redone before.How can you tell the diffrence between the stock Tb and the fastman or some other upgrade to it?

Quick Reply: Intake install?